Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

4500 watt vs 5500 watt element

Post by sgrhyno » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Hey all..

Hoping to get some advice from some of you who are using electric systems.

I'm currently using propane, but and slowly collecting the gear to convert my keggles to electric. Ideally, I would like to do 10 gallon batches, as well as have the ability to do back to back batches. A 50A breaker should have no problem with 2 4500w elements, but using a 4500w in the hlt and a 5500w element in the boil kettle would be pushing the breaker a little further than I'd like (still do-able though, I think).

So, whats the opinion on having a 4500w element in the boil kettle...will I be an eternity trying to get a 10 gallon batch to boil?

Thanks!

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Re: 4500 watt vs 5500 watt element

Post by maglorski » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey Shaun, I've used this site in the past to size heaters:

http://processheatingservices.com/water ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Couldn't tell you how accurate it is, but I guess it's a place to start.

I've been annoying the electrical guy in our office with my project, from my rudimentary understanding the total breaker load should be limited to 80% of capacity (40A in your case). I got a good deal on a 40A GFCI breaker, the problem was is that my setup would only be drawing a max of about 20A at a time as I can only have one element on. What I was told is that the breaker should be sized at about 125% of the running load so it trips before anything bad happens so I've got it fused down to 25A right when it comes into the control box.

I too am in the slooooooooooow (at the mercy of eBay....)process of getting into electric, PM me if you ever wanna nerd out over builds.

Mike.

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User

Post by sgrhyno » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks Mike!

I've been using that 80% rule as well. From the bit of math I've done, 2 - 4500w elements running full tilt would be just below 80% of a 50amp breaker (37.5amps), while a 4500w and a 5500w would be just over that (41.6amps). I'd ideally like to have 2 pumps as well, not sure how much draw those have. The end goal is a badass HERMS system (sooooo far to go....). Got tons of great ideas....time and $$ always seem to get in the way. lol

Even if that calculator isn't all that accurate, the difference from going from ~150f to 212f with the different elements was only about 8 min...I'd sacrifice 8 min any day over knowing I'm not overworking my system.

You'll definitely be hearing from me. I'd love to see what others are brewing with, and really like building my own stuff.

Cheers!
-Shaun

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Post by maglorski » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:33 am

I couldn't afford to go full http://www.theelectricbrewery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but this is my most up to date plan...

A little further down the road I'd look at putting a HERMS coil in my HLT then plugging my STC 1000 controller into the outlet on the control box to cycle the pump on and off as req'd.

You're right, this is fun as hell; the spare room has been taken over by my accumulation of stuff...management is thrilled.
Panel_Layout Layout3 (1).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ANGELofDEBT
Name: Charles

Post by ANGELofDEBT » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:12 pm

Think about the process. Unless you are doing a double batch both elements won't be on at the same time.

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User

Post by sgrhyno » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:27 am

Absolutely. Something's it's all I think about. I want the ability to do double batches as well as 10gal batches.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”