Hi Brewnosers

New members, introduce yourselves!
ZackHarrison
Name: Zack Harrison

Hi Brewnosers

Post by ZackHarrison » Sun May 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello Brewnosers,

I figured being new to this group I would take some time to introduce myself to all of you. My name is Zack and I moved to Nova Scotia just over a year ago now and I wish I would have found this group sooner! I have been home brewing on and off for two years now, but my passion for beer has done nothing but explode since moving to the east coast. I come from southern Ontario, right near the Michigan border, so I was lucky enough to take advantage of not only the Ontario craft beer scene but also the Michigan craft beer scene during my formative beer drinking years. Since then I have made several trips across Canada and the United States in my Westfalia on what I like to call "beercations" where I stopped at some of the best breweries in North America and sampled some truly amazing beers. Eventually, I figured if I liked drinking beer so much why not try to make it, and that journey has lead me here. I have only gotten as far as extract brewing - with some malt additions to my extracts - but I am now looking to expand to the all grain market. One thing I love about beer is how many different styles there are and you can be so much more creative after making the switch to all grain - or so I've read. I really look forward to hearing back from you guys and I would love it if you could point me in the direction of resources to help me along my journey to conquer the jump to all grain brewing.

Thanks for letting me join fellow Brewnosers!

Cheers,

Zack

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Re: Hi Brewnosers

Post by RubberToe » Sun May 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Welcome!
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Welcome. All grain brewing does really open things up creativity-wise. And it doesn't have to be complicated if you don't want it to be. Feel free to ask on here if you want some advice on how to set up a simple system.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

ZackHarrison

Post by ZackHarrison » Sun May 07, 2017 5:32 pm

Celiacbrew wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 pm
Welcome. All grain brewing does really open things up creativity-wise. And it doesn't have to be complicated if you don't want it to be. Feel free to ask on here if you want some advice on how to set up a simple system.
I was hoping someone would reach out with a simple all grain system option! I am in the market to upsize from boiling extract in a stock pot on my stove and would love any and all suggestions!

Thanks

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun May 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Check the classified section. I have some stuff to get you started.

Sandy

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 pm

:welcome:
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Sun May 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Welcome.

If you're looking for some new equipment, see Dave at Everwood, he can get you going.
Why brew beer I can buy?

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 am

ZackHarrison wrote:Hello Brewnosers,

I figured being new to this group I would take some time to introduce myself to all of you. My name is Zack and I moved to Nova Scotia just over a year ago now and I wish I would have found this group sooner! I have been home brewing on and off for two years now, but my passion for beer has done nothing but explode since moving to the east coast. I come from southern Ontario, right near the Michigan border, so I was lucky enough to take advantage of not only the Ontario craft beer scene but also the Michigan craft beer scene during my formative beer drinking years. Since then I have made several trips across Canada and the United States in my Westfalia on what I like to call "beercations" where I stopped at some of the best breweries in North America and sampled some truly amazing beers. Eventually, I figured if I liked drinking beer so much why not try to make it, and that journey has lead me here. I have only gotten as far as extract brewing - with some malt additions to my extracts - but I am now looking to expand to the all grain market. One thing I love about beer is how many different styles there are and you can be so much more creative after making the switch to all grain - or so I've read. I really look forward to hearing back from you guys and I would love it if you could point me in the direction of resources to help me along my journey to conquer the jump to all grain brewing.

Thanks for letting me join fellow Brewnosers!

Cheers,

Zack
You sound like me in 1978. Except for the craft beer in Southern Ontario and Michigan part. The Westfalia is correct. A 1971 adobe brown one to be exact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 am

BIAB is probably the easiest and cheapest way to get going but I don't particularly like it. i prefer using a cooler to hold the mash temperature because it is more hands off. Jimmy has an excellent video showin the process. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyz_zT_glDM

To get started you need a cooler, a BIAB bag that fits a cooler, a kettle and a burner. Optionally you can remove the drain from the cooler and add a weldless bulkhead and a ball valve and use a street elbow as your pickup. Dave at Everwoodbrewshop sells all the stuff you need to add a bulk head and ball valve. Biab bags for coolers are sold by a bunch of online retailers one of which is Jimmy/Becky from this board. Their website is called Mashedin. The water around here is good for brewing but you will want to filter it to
Remove chlorine. No need to worry about adjusting your water for now.

Oh and use software like beersmith to get your strike water temperature, it will get you really close. But don't sweat it if you are off by a degree or two it won't make much difference.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am

Welcome
:spilly:
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 am

:welcome:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Welcome!
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

ZackHarrison

Post by ZackHarrison » Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 am

Celiacbrew wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:49 am
BIAB is probably the easiest and cheapest way to get going but I don't particularly like it. i prefer using a cooler to hold the mash temperature because it is more hands off. Jimmy has an excellent video showin the process. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyz_zT_glDM

To get started you need a cooler, a BIAB bag that fits a cooler, a kettle and a burner. Optionally you can remove the drain from the cooler and add a weldless bulkhead and a ball valve and use a street elbow as your pickup. Dave at Everwoodbrewshop sells all the stuff you need to add a bulk head and ball valve. Biab bags for coolers are sold by a bunch of online retailers one of which is Jimmy/Becky from this board. Their website is called Mashedin. The water around here is good for brewing but you will want to filter it to
Remove chlorine. No need to worry about adjusting your water for now.

Oh and use software like beersmith to get your strike water temperature, it will get you really close. But don't sweat it if you are off by a degree or two it won't make much difference.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info! I was definitely leaning towards doing the BIAB style of brewing. I am hoping to find/buy and old 50L keg and turn it into a keggle. As for the cooler/mash tun ill have to do some searching around for a deal. I'm really looking forward to making some progress and getting creative with my beer!

Return to “New Member Introductions”