Help on Hoppy American Pale Ale

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Help on Hoppy American Pale Ale

Post by wader98 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:30 pm

So long story short, during our last trip to Ontario we consumed a fair amount of Naughty Neighbour from the Nickelbrook Brewery. (see specs sheet from PDF).
Not saying I want to clone the recipe but..........yeah I guess I am.

So this is what I've come up with for a 2.75 Gallon Batch...

Just looking for a little input...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size : 2.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 67.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 38.5 %
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 38.5 %
6.4 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
6.4 oz Caramalt Malt - 35L (Bairds) (35.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.7 %
6.4 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5 7.7 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 10 5.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 11 10.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 12 12.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 8.45 qt of water at 165.3 F 156.0 F 60 min
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Help on Hoppy American Pale Ale

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:48 am

I've never had that pale ale so I can't help you with cloning it. But I can provide some general advice. Carafoam is carapils' name in the US. It doesn't contribute to flavour really. You can use as much or as little as you like. That said less than 5% will get the job done if you are adding it for foam. The flaked wheat is another one people add for foam and sometimes for flavour. At low percentages (1-2%) it is nearly impossible to taste it but it will help your foam generation. Around ten percent some people can really taste it and others can't. I'm in the can't category so I usually would limit it to 2%. Other people will get a slight doughy bread taste on the first sip. If that is what you tasted then 10% is a good place to start. Above that and you get into wheat beer territory. For the caramalt the percentage depends on what style the pale ale is. Some are caramelly and others are more malty. If it is a sweeter tasting caramel one then you probably want to bump up that caramalt to around 10% or slightly above. If it isn't then leave it as is or lower it. For your hops you will want to ask yourself what dominated in the beer you had. If it was citra then keep your hip additions as is. Small amounts of citra dominate the other hops. If it was more balanced then I would lower the citra and bump up the cheaper hops. For the total quantities you have a lot of hops there for a pale ale. Personally I like my IPAs to be hop juice and my pale ales to be more subtle. I think what you have there works out to a pound and a half in a full size batch which would be in the IPA territory. I would do something to limit myrcene if I were going to keep that overall quantity. It is the green taste we associate with hops. You can do that by moving more hops to the whirlpool, using a hot steep before adding the hops to the fermentor (search the site and you will see Nash talking about how to do it), limiting the contact time etc. I personally would just cut the amount of hops in half to make it more pale ale like.

I know I didn't have any specific advice but I hope this helps a little for when you review this beer and get it closer to the original.

Have fun brewing.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Return to “Recipes”