Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: What's everyone brewing?

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:04 pm

LiverDance wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 am

Do explain :mmm:
Instead of simcoe and Amarillo, he adds Nelson Sauvin, mosaic, centennial, amarillo and then I am going to add madarina bavaria as well to add some more orange flavour.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:20 pm

I've got an alt on the go. It spent the first 10 hours at 21C instead of 14C. Apparently Wyeast 1007 is rather vigorous. Gummed up my airlock and then blew it out. Then a rabbit ran into my garage, into the little cubby in my freezer (that I use as a fermentation chamber) and in behind the compressor. So freezer was offline for a while until we got him out. And he most certainly was not interested in coming out. Should be entertaining to see how this turns out. :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Just brewed up an American wheat ale with Wai-iti. Trying hop stands lately on this and my previous brew, but with a hop spider so I'm not sure I'll get the hop flavour extraction I'm expecting; I guess I'll see once it's done.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 pm

local informal competition requires us to add something foraged to a beer and I am not familiar with what grows on the west coast so I'm at a loss.

Russian Sage? Wild Rosehips?

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Are there spruce tips or edible berries or anything? Juniper? I have no idea what's in BC, I barely know what grows here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 am

Heating water right now for a bitter. EKG, 2 row, victory and carastan with US-05.

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 am

MitchK wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 pm
local informal competition requires us to add something foraged to a beer and I am not familiar with what grows on the west coast so I'm at a loss.

Russian Sage? Wild Rosehips?
Hopefully there are no risky wild mushroom beers!

Thirsty
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Corey Smith

Post by Thirsty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

McGruff wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 am
Heating water right now for a bitter. EKG, 2 row, victory and carastan with US-05.
Sounds interesting. Have you done this one before? If so, care to share the details? If not, let us know how it turns out.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:39 am

Many times. My basic bitter recipe usually with various types of Wyeast.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:41 pm

amartin wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:41 pm
Are there spruce tips or edible berries or anything? Juniper? I have no idea what's in BC, I barely know what grows here.

we're too late in the season for spruce tips here.

I think chokecherries grow around here but I'd probably want to put that in something that was going to see quite a bit of age on it for the tannins to calm down...

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm

I was getting very low on beer so Tuesday I banged out 10 gallons of an Amber and am fermenting each half with WLP550 & WY1272. Wednesday I did another 10 g batch of a Golden Promise SMaSH with Citra OG 1.042 and am fermenting it with US05 at different temp. Half will be at 18C and other half at 12 C. I pitched at lager cell counts for the lower temp and really want to try and get some peacy esters I've read about. Definitely doing a D rest on that half. Another few weeks and beer stock will be back from mission critical.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Mashed in at lunch on a 40L batch of kettle soured beer. One half will go on a fruit mixture and the other is going to be fortified with a white whine and dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm

What was your recipe Brian? I'm looking for something like what you are doing there.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 am

Heating strike water for a New Zealand Pilsner.
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 am

Celiacbrew wrote:What was your recipe Brian? I'm looking for something like what you are doing there.
For this one I used 60/40 pils/wheat. Sometimes I use 2row/wheat. Then bitter to 16 ibus

"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 am

Brewing up a modified version of my Wheat Porter for a birthday party in October. Using midnight wheat and Golden Naked Oats in place of Carafa II and toasted flaked oats.

Just wish my WY-1968 yeast starter had…started. Going to have to get creative with yeast unless I want to shell out for two packs of fresh at $9 a pop (OG 1.076).

MonkshoodBrewery
Name: C

Post by MonkshoodBrewery » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Just brewed a cherrywood smoked porter today.

I do 1 gal BIAB and this will be my third overall batch, and my second all-grain batch.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 am

Brewing up 20gal of "Blonde Gone Wild". Blonde ale with centennial & Cascade hops...fermented with a Wild yeast and London III yeast blend.
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Brewed up a simple cream ale today, haven't brewed in a while so it was nice to get something in

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Put together a smoked porter on the weekend for the December exchange. I brewed this early in the new year and it was great. I tweaked the recipe a bit. Hopefully it will turn out. :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:04 am

Started a kettle-soured raspberry Berliner last night.
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am

mumblecrunch wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 am
Brewing up a modified version of my Wheat Porter for a birthday party in October. Using midnight wheat and Golden Naked Oats in place of Carafa II and toasted flaked oats.

Just wish my WY-1968 yeast starter had…started. Going to have to get creative with yeast unless I want to shell out for two packs of fresh at $9 a pop (OG 1.076).

The last time I tried to start a 1968 it hadn't started either. Next time I want it I'm inclined to just try the dry London ESB yeast that came out, although I've heard the attenuation is even lower.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:18 pm

amartin wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am
mumblecrunch wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:06 am

The last time I tried to start a 1968 it hadn't started either. Next time I want it I'm inclined to just try the dry London ESB yeast that came out, although I've heard the attenuation is even lower.
Bwahahahaha. Funny story.

Beer ended up with an OG of 1.063 and 25 L instead of 1.075 and 21.5 L (messed up converting the recipe to my current equipment from my previous equipment I think).

So the starter looked like it might have been showing signs of life on Sunday night, but there certainly wasn't anything worth pitching there. I had two packets of the dry London ESB yeast on hand, some US-05 and some S-04. I figured, "Why the hell not," rehydrated and pitched the London ESB. Then I went back and read all the stuff I'd previously read about it. Red flags everywhere: medium mash temperature (152ºF/66.5ºC), high percentage of crystal malts (9.4% C60 and 6.1% Golden Naked Oats), no simple sugars. So I realized I'd better come up with plan B because this thing would be likely to stall at or near 1.020.

Meanwhile, that London ESB is an animal. This was about 24 hours after pitching:
IMG_6996.jpg
Even crazier, 8 hours later that krausen was gone. Gravity had dropped to 1.024 in 36 hours. And meanwhile, when I went to check on my starter:
IMG_6997.jpg
I would have liked to krausen it, but my fermenter was already pushing full. So I decanted the starter the next day and pitched. Hopefully the combination of Danstar London ESB and Wyeast London ESB will take it down to around 1.015. I haven't seen a new krausen form so I'm planning to do another gravity check this weekend and rouse the yeast if the gravity hasn't moved much.

I'm sure it'll be beer anyway!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Damn, that's something else. What was the fermentation temperature?

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

What's everyone brewing?

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:27 pm

amartin wrote:Damn, that's something else. What was the fermentation temperature?
I tried to keep it to 72°F/22°C but it crept up a degree or two more between ice pack changes. The gravity sample before I threw the 1968 in was throwing a lot of esters and some sulfur but when I checked for activity this morning most of that had already cleared up.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”