STC-1000 walkthrough??

A spot to talk general homebrew
McGrath1990
Name: Josh

STC-1000 walkthrough??

Post by McGrath1990 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am

Hey All,

I just received my kegerator set, 3 kegs, and my STC-1000. That being said I've searched the web and watched videos on how to install the STC-1000. Does anybody have a real specific and easy walkthrough or perhaps a better link I've been able to find?

I've PM'd a couple of you who I noticed have the setup.

Sorry if there is another post on the subject.

Appreciate your help in advance,
-Josh

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Re: STC-1000 walkthrough??

Post by ackes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 pm

McGrath1990 wrote:Hey All,

I just received my kegerator set, 3 kegs, and my STC-1000. That being said I've searched the web and watched videos on how to install the STC-1000. Does anybody have a real specific and easy walkthrough or perhaps a better link I've been able to find?

I've PM'd a couple of you who I noticed have the setup.

Sorry if there is another post on the subject.

Appreciate your help in advance,
-Josh
Check out the links I sent ya. If you’re still having an issue - could stop by and figure it out - depending on where you’re located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Yep, that looks a bit more complicated than my ink-bird haha

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I like this diagram.

It seems very intuitive to follow the flow.

Basically you have a neutral wire (white) that's going to wire from your plug to the neutral side of your outlet. You'll wire to the top terminal and then wire from the bottom terminal to number 2 slot on the STC.

That completes your neutral chain.

So then from your hot side (probably a black wire but it's red here) you wire to a marette, from the marette you can then attach three wires to go to the "in" side of each terminal on the STC (1,5,7) this allows the STC to send power out the right side of your heat and cool terminals whenever you need it.

So now wire from terminal 6 to the top terminal on the right side of your receptacle, and wire from 8 to the bottom.

Now you need to break the bridge between the right side terminals on the receptacle. This is a little metal tab between where you connected 6 and 8. This allows you to plug in your heating source to the top receptacle outlet and your cooling source to the bottom receptacle outlet. Which seems intuitive to me.

All that's left is to ground the thing. That's the green line.

Have fun. I built a three bay fermentation unit. The STC on each controls a computer fan which pulls air from my kegerator. The heat outlet is powering either a heat plate or fermentor heat wrap. I just did three and am about to do 8 more for a commercial build.

If I have anything wrong here hopefully someone can point it out.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Why don't you wire one up and post a picture here.

If you are looking for how to Mount the thing than that's a whole other story.

All my receptacle parts are inside a receptacle box. My STC's are installed in the front wall of my fermentation chamber.

Some people have the entire thing mounted in one box. But that didn't work for me.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am

Isn't it best to have a higher quality relay installed? I read somewhere that relying on the STC's could cause it to burn out after a while.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 pm

CartoonCod wrote:Isn't it best to have a higher quality relay installed? I read somewhere that relying on the STC's could cause it to burn out after a while.
So the relay would allow you to run power from the STC to the relay only for switching on and off the relay?

That way the STC1000 circuit would not be energized with the load that's required to run the heat and cooling source.

Interesting. Makes sense to me its just I've never seen it done like that for that purpose. The purpose of protecting the cheaper unit that is. Good to know. If mine burn out then I'll know why and how to fix the problem.

I've been running three for a full year now like this with no problems.

However when I set up my 2 bbl fermentors I'm going to wire the STC to a relay that will turn on a pump carrying glycol to each fermentor. I wonder if I can get a relay with two independent circuits so I can just wire twice from the STC to the same unit and use that for a heat wrap as well.

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel Cormier

Post by TallDan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Has anyone used an STC-1000 to bypass a fridge thermostat? I want to use the controller for my fridge but still want the freezer above to run.

Taking the thermostat apart I saw that I also have a defrost timer (see picture).

I'm thinking the following will work but just wanted to see if anyone here can confirm this.

1) take incoming wire from current thermostat and wire to 1 on STC and add jumper from there to 7 on STC

2) take outgoing wire from current thermostat and wire to 8 on STC

3) cut and add wire to wire number 4 on timer (I believe is common neutral) and connect new wire to number 2 on STC.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”