Aging cider

A spot to talk general homebrew
pvanberk
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Aging cider

Post by pvanberk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:08 pm

I made a bulwark cider kit and it's time to keg / bottle. I'm going to be away until May so I'm wondering how best to keep it until then. Should I leave it in the carboy? Rack it to a keg and leave it Uncarbonated in a cool spot? Or should I put it in the keezer like normal... Thoughts? Thanks

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Re: Aging cider

Post by elreplica » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:15 pm

I'd keg it...hit it with CO2 and purge out the air...I've got 23 litres sitting in a carboy for months now but not a good idea I'm sure...will be tasting soon...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Aging cider

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 pm

pvanberk wrote:I made a bulwark cider kit and it's time to keg / bottle. I'm going to be away until May so I'm wondering how best to keep it until then. Should I leave it in the carboy? Rack it to a keg and leave it Uncarbonated in a cool spot? Or should I put it in the keezer like normal... Thoughts? Thanks
Yeah I guess that is a long time to be sitting on the yeast cake. I would fill up a keg full of starsan, push that out with co2 and then transfer in.

You're gonna wanna make sure you have a good seal on that. Give it a few flushes of gas after you transfer (unless you do closed transfers) and then seal it up with 25 - 30 PSI. Check it a few times before you leave to make sure it's holding pressure.

There's an endless amount of reading you can do on the affect pressure has on aging but I think you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”