Help fixing WIFI radio module on a brew controller

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Help fixing WIFI radio module on a brew controller

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:04 pm

I bought a used Brew Boss controller. They have an internal wifi radio module that is preset to operate as its own network, but which can be set up to operate on a home wifi network. Apparently, once this is done the radio will only connect to that network (unless reset while connected to that network). The previous owner changed the setting, but forgot to reset before passing it on, and now I cannot pick up or connect to the controller at all. I have been emailing back and forth to the maker of the Brew Boss. Apparently, you can reset the wifi radio without access to the network it was reconfigured to talk to, but they won't release how to do this, as in the past this caused all sorts of headaches with people messing up their controllers. They advise I just buy a new radio. They sell these for $29 USD, but the shipping price is also crazy high($50!).

Wondering if there's anyone here who can help? Instructions on how to reconfigure the radio in the first place are here (around p. 60): https://www.brew-boss.com/v/vspfiles/fi ... lV2.07.pdf

Does anyone know how to reverse this without access to the network it was reconfigured to?

Alternatively, I see that I can get the same wifi radio from China for about $10. Is there any reason why I cannot just do this and plug it in? (The ones from Brew Boss say that they are "pre-programmed with the Brew-Boss SSID as a open network. This is the same configuration as the Brew-Boss controllers are shipped with", does that just mean that they have a name and no password as the default, or would they have been programmed in some other way that an off the shelf radio would not be?)
Last edited by jason.loxton on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Re: Help fixing WIFI radio module on a brew controller

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 pm

This is the advice they gave (various emails):

"If you can get a new router and change the name to the same SSID name and security settings that it was programmed for you can then change it. The person you purchased it from should have reprogrammed per the operation manual before sending it to you.

Resetting it requires sending to us for service. There is a flat $50 charge for that plus parts if required. We also upgrade to the latest firmware and test all components. You can try resetting it yourself, just make certain to set the defaults properly as described in the operation manual available for Legacy systems on our web site."
----
"The radio has it's own operating system and the firmware is for the controller processor only. It is possible to reset it yourself but you can brick the radio if done incorrectly, it has created a support nightmare for us when we did publish that info, so we don't publish that method.

Getting a new radio is your best course of action if the seller won't share his ssid and security settings, which is the easiest way."
----
When I asked for the reset instructions they said: "Sorry, there is no upside for us only costs and additional support time and the potential you brick the entire controller. Your best route is buying new radio."

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark Bowser

Post by Bowserm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 pm

If you buy one from China for 10.00, I’m guessing it is a default brew-boss network with the default settings as new. By chance do you have the tablet that connects to it? Can you forget the networks from the tablet?

I’m guessing there must be a hard reset somewhere on the wifi board (probably a short of a couple pins)

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bowserm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Sorry, I just realized the connection is only app based.

Maybe ask the guy his network settings then setup an old router with the same settings and it will work

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bowserm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Try flashing the firmware according to these instructions:

https://www.brew-boss.com/v/vspfiles/fi ... ctions.pdf

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 am

jason.loxton wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 pm
When I asked for the reset instructions they said: "Sorry, there is no upside for us only costs and additional support time and the potential you brick the entire controller. Your best route is buying new radio."
Wow, nice support for their product.

Sorry, no advice or opinion on the rest of it.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”