Flaked Coconut

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
timcress10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Cress

Flaked Coconut

Post by timcress10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am

Hiya folks. I'm on the hunt for a new additive for my next batch of beer. I've been really intrigued by NewtoHomeBrewTom on Youtube and one of his recipes that he's dubbed "Coconut ShyPA". His recipe calls for roughly 2 200g additions of toasted coconut; 1 for the boil and the other with a dry hop addition. Wondering where anyone who has used flaked coconut bought from? His recipe calls for unsweetened, flaked coconut that he toasts himself.

Any recommendations on where to pick up some flaked coconut, or if you think I could get away with toasting some shredded coconut instead. Thanks!
Tim Cress

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Flaked Coconut

Post by Jimmy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am

Natural food section in Sobeys. I suspect Petes Frootique, Bulk Barn, or Organic Earth would also sell it.

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:43 am

Jimmy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am
Natural food section in Sobeys. I suspect Petes Frootique, Bulk Barn, or Organic Earth would also sell it.
Thanks! Checked our local Sobeys and couldn't find any....I've got some folks checking on the nearest Bulk Barn, and I'll check out Superstore.
Tim Cress

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am

I picked mine up at bulk barn when I used it in a milk stout. Keep an eye on it if you are toasting it...doesn't take long to start to brown.

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am

mckay75 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am
I picked mine up at bulk barn when I used it in a milk stout. Keep an eye on it if you are toasting it...doesn't take long to start to brown.
I'd heard that....the original recipe calls for baking it but I've also read that it's easier to monitor in a non-stick or even a cast-iron pan. Did you end up toasting yours for the milk stout addition?
Tim Cress

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

I did. I had to toss my first batch because I wasn't paying attention and burned it. 2nd time around was perfect. Added a real nice flavour to the stout.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

timcress10 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am
mckay75 wrote:
I'd heard that....the original recipe calls for baking it but I've also read that it's easier to monitor in a non-stick or even a cast-iron pan. Did you end up toasting yours for the milk stout addition?
I came in here to ask if anyone knew where to get toasted coconut, for the exact same reason. Wanted to try this recipe while tweaking it a bit. First off did you find toasted coconut flakes? Sobeys didn't have it. Bulk barns website says they have it but didn't check yet. Secondly how did this turn out for you? How is the flavor and hop profile? Is it more on the IPA or PA side?
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 am

I went ahead and picked up unsweetend coconut flakes and toasted them myself. Brewed this up last night and is the fermentor now. One thing I noticed is the ground water is quite warm this time of year, anyone else have issues chilling? I am using immersion chiller and could only get it down to about 25. Had to let it sit sealed overnight to get it down to pitching temp which I don't love doing but I have a sealed bucket fermentor so it keeps everything out.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm

PMackie wrote:I went ahead and picked up unsweetend coconut flakes and toasted them myself. Brewed this up last night and is the fermentor now. One thing I noticed is the ground water is quite warm this time of year, anyone else have issues chilling? I am using immersion chiller and could only get it down to about 25. Had to let it sit sealed overnight to get it down to pitching temp which I don't love doing but I have a sealed bucket fermentor so it keeps everything out.
With respect to the ground water, I usually don't see an issue until later August or September for HRM Sackville. Not unheard of though.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am

When adding the toasted coconut during the dry hop phase, do you guys sterilize it somehow? I plan on using a mesh bag as I do for hops and soaking it in star san as I usually do, but that will not sterilize the coconut.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 am

I didn't do anything to mine when i made a coconut IPA and it turned out fine.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:55 pm

PMackie wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm
timcress10 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:18 am
mckay75 wrote:
I came in here to ask if anyone knew where to get toasted coconut, for the exact same reason. Wanted to try this recipe while tweaking it a bit. First off did you find toasted coconut flakes? Sobeys didn't have it. Bulk barns website says they have it but didn't check yet. Secondly how did this turn out for you? How is the flavor and hop profile? Is it more on the IPA or PA side?
I picked up a bag of large flake toasted coconut at Costco a bit ago. I believe it's an 800g bag (I had to rehome the coconut from its original package as there was a small tear in the bag when I got it home). I ended up using 200g during the last 5 minutes of the boil (Best Case only calls for a 30 minute boil total), then did a dry hop addition of 200g more when I siphoned to secondary.
Tim Cress

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:58 pm

PMackie wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 am
When adding the toasted coconut during the dry hop phase, do you guys sterilize it somehow? I plan on using a mesh bag as I do for hops and soaking it in star san as I usually do, but that will not sterilize the coconut.
No sanitizing on my end at all; just weighed the 200g of coconut in a sanitized container, then added it to the secondary fermentor right before siphoning the beer onto it. I used a mesh bag on my siphoning rig to stop any coconut clogging the process when I went to transfer the final beer onto my priming sugar solution.
Tim Cress

Return to “Recipes”