Tips for the new guy!!

A spot to talk general homebrew
Yamifz1
Name: Richard

Tips for the new guy!!

Post by Yamifz1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Alright, I'm brand new to this beer making experience, I've drank lots but never made any. I think that it would be a great idea to post up the very basics for new people like myself as I have so many questions.
I'll get it started off with a few questions that may give you guys the idea, no matter how basic it seems to you us new guys know diddly.
1. is tap water acceptable for making beer?
2. what temperature should the beer be at when fermenting and in the secondary container?
3. recently make a Belgian Moon clone and used a Coopers Preacher's Hefe as a base with other additives, the recipe did not call for sugar which I understand is what the yeast turns into alchol, it did have 3lbs of Wheat DME, is that the substitute or was I suppose to put sugar in it?

These are some basic questions that us newbies would have so share your basic info with others. :spilly:

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Re: Tips for the new guy!!

Post by elreplica » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Hey bud,

I think you’re definitely off to a good start using the DME instead of sugar...you’re lucky to have started in an era of great tech and knowledge base instead of the old can/ pound...kit/kilo days...let us know how you like your first foray - this place is a world of knowledge and a springboard into so many bigger and better things and places...enjoy!

:spilly:

Welcome
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Yamifz1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm
1. is tap water acceptable for making beer?
To start with yes.

2. what temperature should the beer be at when fermenting and in the secondary container?
Look at your yeast it will have a temp range for fermentation.

3. recently make a Belgian Moon clone and used a Coopers Preacher's Hefe as a base with other additives, the recipe did not call for sugar which I understand is what the yeast turns into alchol, it did have 3lbs of Wheat DME, is that the substitute or was I suppose to put sugar in it?
The "kit" and DME are a sugar. You should be good if you your clean and keep your temp.
. :spilly:

Yamifz1

Post by Yamifz1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks Elreplica, I was concerned that I may have ruined my first real batch of beer other than a red I have on that is a can and sugar.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

And bro Sandy has definitely offered great advice...he’d be a great beer teacher in the school of beer🤡

Yamifz1

Post by Yamifz1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Really, no one has any basic info they can share?

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:13 pm

Yup...pay attention to what Sandy said and...read Charlie Papazian’s Complete Joy of Home Brewing and John Palmers How To Brew:
Then ask specifics as you did earlier. Cheers bud.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Basic means, to me start slow and learn. I think you want the gold ticket but there is none.

Work, researcher and ask us on here. Good beer comes from learning from mistakes or mimicking another brewer.

Brew with another brewer and see what fits your needs.

S

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:43 am

Yamifz1 wrote:Really, no one has any basic info they can share?
I remember that feeling and it wasn't that long ago. I've only been at this in earnest for a year so my knowledge on details isn't going to help you much but I can relate to that "where do I start" feeling.

I think it's because we all play games now that have onboarding tutorials and "first time run throughs" and we forget what Choose Your Adventure is all about (and why it's so much more rewarding/fun to complete) :)

What helped me was making a batch of beer.

And then drinking it. And then making another one to confirm I understood half of what I did.

And then talking about it with others (even if they had less of a clue than I did). I could tell when I was confident in taking about some aspect of the process (if clueless/ignorant to varying degrees) about XYZ, or was full of shit and in need of more Intel, context background or whatever.

That then gave me the keywords or a more precise way to think about the concept or "thing" to find specific advice on forums YouTube etc.

In my experience people who are enamoured by a solution are gratifying an end unto itself. People who fall in love with a problem on the other hand discover the means to gratify to no end. For me at least, that's why I've loved the process as much as the outcomes and I have a lot of gratitude for how helpful and supportive folks on here in particular have been.

Have fun. The rest will follow.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

As mentioned, John Palmer's and Charlie Papazian's books are fantastic resources for the new brewer. They'll let you know what beer and home brewing is, and give you a great jumping off point. Without a doubt, they are what took this from an interesting experiment to an obsession for me.

There is also a wealth of knowledge here in this forum's archives and in all of use who share knowledge and ask questions.

Some brewers like to get deep into the science and precision, and some like to get creative with new techniques and recipes every time. Most of us are somewhere in between.

It's really difficult (but not impossible)to make something completely undrinkable. Keep stuff clean. Don't dive in too deep too fast. Have fun. Any friends that have never brewed before will think you are a wizard. Soak that up.

Welcome!
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”