Q re: Maxing out my mash Tun

A spot to talk general homebrew
weisseguy
Name: Clinty McClintock

Q re: Maxing out my mash Tun

Post by weisseguy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 am

So I’ve already used the Green Bay Rackers “Can I Mash it” calculator but I’m skeptical of the results so I wanted to double check with you guys.

What is the maximum amount of grain I can mash in an 11.7gal tun with 0.5gal dead space assuming 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness?

Also, what are the pros and cons of increasing the mash thickness? How thick is too thick?

As always, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bottled: 10 of Wands RIS

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Q re: Maxing out my mash Tun

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:54 pm

weisseguy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 am

Also, what are the pros and cons of increasing the mash thickness? How thick is too thick?
Lots of good info about mash thickness and its effect on efficiency here: Braukaiser

Generally I think you'll find that it suggests thinner mashes tend to yield better efficiency. The caveat is that a maximally thin mash (e.g., no-sparge) loses about 7-8% efficiency. Thinner mashes are also less likely to produce dough balls.

If you're looking to do a really big beer with a manageable mash thickness to try to maximize efficiency you might be better off doing two smaller mashes or even experimenting with re-iterated mashing (I think a few members here have tried this with decent results, I just can't remember who).

If you're less concerned about efficiency and you just want to do a big beer in a single mash (minimize time spent), I've never seen anyone claim the "Can I Mash It" calculator was wrong.

weisseguy

Post by weisseguy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:
weisseguy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 am

Lots of good info about mash thickness and its effect on efficiency here: Braukaiser

Generally I think you'll find that it suggests thinner mashes tend to yield better efficiency. The caveat is that a maximally thin mash (e.g., no-sparge) loses about 7-8% efficiency. Thinner mashes are also less likely to produce dough balls.

If you're looking to do a really big beer with a manageable mash thickness to try to maximize efficiency you might be better off doing two smaller mashes or even experimenting with re-iterated mashing (I think a few members here have tried this with decent results, I just can't remember who).

If you're less concerned about efficiency and you just want to do a big beer in a single mash (minimize time spent), I've never seen anyone claim the "Can I Mash It" calculator was wrong.
All of this is fantastic info! Thank you very much!

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 am

I use Green Bay Rackers the odd time and found it pretty accurate.

weisseguy

Post by weisseguy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:20 pm

So I brewed a beer attempting to take my run to the brim and according to the GBR calculator I was maxing it out but in reality I had about 3 inches of space left. I realized three things:

1. I’m over estimating my dead space
2. I literally left out some malt my accident
3. I was slightly undershooting the total volumes anyway just to be safe.

Learning all this will be really helpful when I attempt new high gravity batches!

The end result of this will be two stouts. A RIS (est. ABV 9.5%) made from the combined 1st & 2nd runnings and another weakling (est. ABV 4%) from the 3rd runnings!

Thanks again for the support!
Cheers!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”