Escarpment Labs Fruity Wit

A spot to talk general homebrew
oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Escarpment Labs Fruity Wit

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:53 pm

No doubt that many of us are chasing down yeast strains for our witbier entry for the big spruce competition. Noble Grape and Everwood were out of what I normally would use and I would not dare go forward with 3068 or other hef strains on this particular beer that I have conjured up. Escarpment had their Fruity Wit there so I picked some up.

Has anyone had any experience with this strain? Jeff from Everwood mentioned a number of people have gone home with it so I'm hoping one may have been a brewnoser. He also thought he remembered someone saying it was the forbidden fruit strain. I've reached out to Escarpment for some pointers on temp profiles so when I hear back I'll post it here.

Without any clear direction I will put it through a small vitality starter today and pitch the whole thing tomorrow at about 17-17.5c and ramp it up like I do with all my Belgians.

May the lord be with you,

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: Escarpment Labs Fruity Wit

Post by mckay75 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 am

I used Fruity Wit in my Witbier. I pitched around 17 and after about a day and a half let if free rise and do its thing...went as high as 23 and now appears to be mostly done fermenting. I brewed it last sunday...I'll check it a bit later this week to see where its at. Warning...its a sulpher bomb!

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:34 pm

mckay75 wrote:I used Fruity Wit in my Witbier. I pitched around 17 and after about a day and a half let if free rise and do its thing...went as high as 23 and now appears to be mostly done fermenting. I brewed it last sunday...I'll check it a bit later this week to see where its at. Warning...its a sulpher bomb!
Good to know I’m always expecting sulfur from my first few runs at 3068 a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:35 pm

From escarpment

“Hi Glen,

It's nice to meet you! The Fruity Wit is closest to Wyeast's Forbidden Fruit, although it's not a far cry from the standard Wit strain either. In terms of fermentation, I recommend fermenting in the low to mid 20C range. The yeast isn't super attenuative so it does require a decently fermentable wort, otherwise, the final beer can be on the sweet side. It's a great strain for Wits and we have repeat customers for it on the pro and home sides.

Cheers!

--
Richard Preiss”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”