Robobrew V3

A spot to talk general homebrew
PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Re: Robobrew V3

Post by PMackie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:43 am

Yeah the board Everwood gave me along with the Temp probe are both new and improved models. They have an extra transformer and they look better made. I am brewing now, so we will see how it holds up. So far so good.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 pm

Good to see support for RB...I’d expect nothing less from Everwood as well. Price point is great on the RB and I’d have pulled the trigger on one but bought into the GF ecosystem. I’m happy with the Connect and all that but need to make better use this winter. A RB might be my next system if I step up to 10 gallon batches... :cheers:
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am

Mine just got another E1 and E2 error code. OBK'S is sending me new unit. I wonder if this one will have the new and improved circuit board? Patrick will stop selling them if this keeps up, ( just like he stopped selling the grainfather ) so where will I get parts after my warranty is up?

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:24 am

I got my new one yesterday. I hear there is a brand new board coming out this winter. About time. It should be free for every customer.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am

Wow, you are lucky to have your new one. I am still waiting on replacement pump due to the CP labor sissies... Shipped Nov 5 with Expedited (CP web site says 3 days from OBK postal code to min) and now scheduled delivery for Nov 20. It has changed 4 times in last week, was the 12th, then the 19th, now 20th.
Hoping it comes sooner, but here in NS they just extended their 24hr strike from yesterday to at least today as well (it rained yesterday afternoon and night, so they couldn't picket).
Can you tell I'm bitter with CP?

smokey
Name: n/a

Post by smokey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:23 pm

I can tell just a wee bit.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Swine wrote:Wow, you are lucky to have your new one. I am still waiting on replacement pump due to the CP labor sissies... Shipped Nov 5 with Expedited (CP web site says 3 days from OBK postal code to min) and now scheduled delivery for Nov 20. It has changed 4 times in last week, was the 12th, then the 19th, now 20th.
Hoping it comes sooner, but here in NS they just extended their 24hr strike from yesterday to at least today as well (it rained yesterday afternoon and night, so they couldn't picket).
Can you tell I'm bitter with CP?
Sounds like opportunity for a great of beer name to me Ryan.

Canada Post strike ESB!!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm

How is everyone's efficiency anyway. In efficiency I mean if your shooting for a 1.056 beer, are you normally off by a few points or dead on? I am finding I am usually off by a few points lately, not a ton, and it doesn't effect quality, but I would like to be closer to hitting my target.

Beert
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bert

Post by Beert » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 pm

PMackie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm
How is everyone's efficiency anyway. In efficiency I mean if your shooting for a 1.056 beer, are you normally off by a few points or dead on? I am finding I am usually off by a few points lately, not a ton, and it doesn't effect quality, but I would like to be closer to hitting my target.
Grain crush could be an issue. Most people find there is an increase in efficiency when they make the jump to crushing their own grain vs. having their grain supplier do it. If you don’t mill your own grain and rely on your LHBS to do it, have them double mill it and see what that does.

Cheers.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:25 am

I find my efficiency goes up when I mash for 90 min instead of 60. Usually around 5%, sometimes a little more, sometimes less.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 am

I plan on milling my own soon, if Santa is kind to me. So for sure that will help. I actually lately did start mashing an extra 15 minutes before doing my mash out and my efficiency was much better. I'll give 90 a go next brew and see what happens.
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:32 am

Even using BeerSmith's RoboBrew profile, if i'm shooting for 1.056, i'll usually come in a couple of points higher.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am

I have used my replacement until 2 times and everything is fine so far.

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 am

I hear that they are manufacturing a new board for the Robobrew. Coming out in the New Year sometime. I will buy one as a spare until my board malfunctions as I assume it will sometime.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:01 pm

PMackie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm
I've hit my numbers pretty much dead on the last two brews (after some trial and error up and down). Used the Robobrew profile and adjusted the brewhouse efficiency to 80% and dropped the boil off rate to half (6% an hour). I boil with the chiller in place, so the lid is ajar. I calculate water volumes at tap temp, but using the figures Beersmith gives at strike/sparge temps. 60 min mash.

Other thing is I have been using a thermometer with a long probe to monitor the actual mash temp. Reads off, but also somewhat unpredictably. Worth doing.

BigEasy
Name: ian macinnis

Post by BigEasy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I have always been intrigued with this all in one setup. I have gone back from RoboBrew and Grainfather like most, but cost will always play a roll for me. I understand this will be less footprint and cleanup seems to be easier, but can someone convince me to get one. What are the pros and cons?? Am I cheating using this type of equipment? I know the colder months it would be great!! :cheers2:

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm

There's no such thing as cheating. You still need to control all the variables. You making the beer.

I am happy with it so far. Put together a full 30 amp electric system, but decided to go for this as I was just getting fed up with space requirements (I was renovating a place to brew) and wanted to just get some beer pumping out. Nothing to complain about beyond the initial control panel issue.

I am not sure that it's worth spending twice the amount for a Grainfather. If you guy it on your credit card with the extended warranty protection you'll have a guaranteed 2 years out of it, which is pretty reasonable!

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 am

I have a 56 L electric sanke keg system and am keeping it. I don't use it until spring out in my garage. The Robobrew was a perfect fit in my laundry room in the winter.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 am

McGruff wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 am
I have a 56 L electric sanke keg system and am keeping it. I don't use it until spring out in my garage. The Robobrew was a perfect fit in my laundry room in the winter.
My set up is propane and I have a Gfather, but I have the same thought.

S

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 am

A robobrew user on the facebook page had a fire in his and is sending it back for a store credit. He is done and moving on to something else. For this reason I do not use the sleep timer to wake up to strike temp water. I realize this is one unit of thousands sold, but not worth your house burning down.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 pm

McGruff wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 am
A robobrew user on the facebook page had a fire in his and is sending it back for a store credit. He is done and moving on to something else. For this reason I do not use the sleep timer to wake up to strike temp water. I realize this is one unit of thousands sold, but not worth your house burning down.
Yeah I seen that actually, I am not sure he is telling the whole truth though. Regardless I only have mine on and plugged in while I am around. I had one board burn up and the new one provided has been great.

Jthulu
Name: Jarratt

Post by Jthulu » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Has anyone distilled in their Robobrew yet?

McGruff

Post by McGruff » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Thinking about it. What, like $500.00 for the extras? I guess if the results are good, it won't take you long to pay for it considering the cost of booze.

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 pm

GAM wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 am
McGruff wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 am
My set up is propane and I have a Gfather, but I have the same thought.

S
So, do you have a preference of setups guys? Do you think you'd keep using the Robo/Gfather in the summer instead of your 56L E system?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

If I can't sell the old system I'll use it when its warmer, but a GF outside and double brew day works too.

S

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”