2018 Advent - Dec 5th - Pale German-ish Lager

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

2018 Advent - Dec 5th - Pale German-ish Lager

Post by Buccaneer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 pm

This was my attempt to re-create an amazing beer I had brewed a couple months previous. However, my LHBS didn't have the correct yeast or crystal malt, so I ad-libbed. I wasn't happy with this one at all in the early stages, but the last couple weeks of aging have made this quite nice.

Recipe for 5 gallons:

3.0 kg 2-row
0.5 kg crystal 40
0.5 kg flaked wheat

WLP 830

Mashed at 148F for 60 minutes.
60 minute boil

1.0 oz Willamette (4.7%) @ 60 minutes
0.7 oz Willamette @ 10 minutes
0.3 oz Willamette @ flameout (10 minute steep)

Ferment at 10-12C.

OG = 1.043
FG = 1.010
Alc % = 4.4%
Colour = ~7 SRM
Bitterness = ~21 IBUs

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Re: 2018 Advent - Dec 5th - Pale German-ish Lager

Post by mdentremont » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Beautiful beer all around - good carbonation, crystal clear, nice golden colour, smell has a nice sweetness to it, and the taste is super crisp with a nice caramel malt sweetness. I can't imagine you'll have this batch around for long (ie: it's going to go quick!) - thanks for sharing!

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Wow, not even a huge lager fan but this is hitting the spot. Like Matt said, crystal clear beer, that is something to be proud of on its own. Very flavorful and smells sweet. Excellent beer. I can't believe the quality of the beer so far. First year doing this. Keep them coming.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for the beer. Enjoying this one. Its sweet tasting and refreshing. Great carbonation and clarity.

Sent from my smartphone

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Beautiful beer to look at in the glass. Some really nice malt character on the nose with a touch of spicy and slightly fruity hops that complement the malt nicely. On the palate the malt is also dominant, with some grainy sweetness and a great almost graham crackery presence. Could have a bit more carbonation, but that might be on me for putting it in the fridge a little early. I'm getting some acetaldehyde on this one as well that I think is taking a little away from the finish. I wouldn't call this a "Pale" anything; it drank very much like a Festbier to me and I quite enjoyed it.

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Post by sgrhyno » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm

This is really good!!

Still working up to detailed critiques, but I could have this as a go to for sure. It’s delicious. Nice work on the clarity too, probably the clearest home brew I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Beautiful colour and clarity! Smells like fresh honeycrisp apple flesh with a hint of banana and a smaller hint of green apple. Really nice resiny type malt flavour (that I had noted as a munich type malt until I took a second look at the recipe) that I like in darker type lagers. Very quaffable. Thanks!

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 am

CartoonCod wrote:Beautiful colour and clarity! Smells like fresh honeycrisp apple flesh with a hint of banana and a smaller hint of green apple. Really nice resiny type malt flavour (that I had noted as a munich type malt until I took a second look at the recipe) that I like in darker type lagers. Very quaffable. Thanks!
Lots of non lager descriptors there Adam. ;-)

The nose. A combination of acetaldehyde and DMS plus the finish - more a candy caramel that screamed for a crisp humane end detracted from an otherwise very interesting beer.

The brewer will have a scoresheet shortly.

----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 am

Haha, finally someone was honest. :)

A variety of points to make...

As I said, I was originally trying to remake a previous beer, but I couldn't get two of important ingredients - crystal 30 and Wyeast 2308. Right from the start I didn't like the crystal 40. I'd also never used the yeast before. I did all of my usual yeast wrangling, but something just didn't work like it should.

The clarity - I used a bit of gelatin. I've always wanted to see what sort of difference it makes. Wow, I wasn't disappointed. However, I'm wondering if knocking out all of that yeast impacts the clean up process? Even after about 3 months, there's still some issues.

Regarding carbonation levels and such, I bottled from a keg. I don't have an ideal setup for that though. I also wonder if some oxidizing is taking place.

Right after I brewed this, I immediately tried again with the original ingredients. I was hoping it was going to be ready in time, and the beer you got was going to be the backup. Sadly, it was nowhere near ready.

Interesting about the festbier comparison. I was trying to categorize the original batch a few months ago. That seemed to be the closest comparison, but it was pretty far out of spec. The new batch, which I sampled yesterday, reminds me a bit of the Lunn's Mill Vienna.

Anyway, thanks for all of comments! I really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Mine was a little undercarbonated, but it didn’t really detract from the beer. Subtle hops and grainy sweetness. Didn’t get any green apple character, but I’m not overly sensitive to it so I’d miss it if not overwhelming. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 pm

A very heavy lager. Great drinking beer but not to style. I'm OK with that!

Sandy

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I got some pear/apple on the nose, nice malt character, beautiful clarity and well carbed in my bottle.

"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Similar to a beer my dad makes. Nice and clear, Getting some slight green apple (not sure if that is left over from my own day 4 beer or not), and definitely some sweetness.

Thanks!

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Crystal clear bronze colour with an ivory head. On the nose there was pear-drops. I picked it up as when i had my gas mask fit tested before the CS Chamber, they'd test with either ethyl acetate or isoamyl acetate and although it's faint, it stirred a memory!

Sweet and malty flavours. Carbonation was fabulous! Lacing tracked my fast progress to the bottom of the glass!

Thank you!
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:36 pm

I don’t have a whole lot different to add from everyone else.
To be honest I didn’t notice the acetaldehyde at first - looked for it once I read comments - I can be convinced it a there. Definitely not enough to take away from the beer.
As people have said - crystal clear / sweet caramelly and beautifully balanced by hops.
Thanks for the brew !!

Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:07 pm

So we're a little behind on the sampling... had this the other night while bottling a dopplebock. Beautiful colour, and nice maltiness. Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”