Why do you brew?

A spot to talk general homebrew
oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Why do you brew?

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Sounds like a silly question. I was actually reminded of why today so I thought it a good idea to post this here.

Earlier on this forum I was asking for thoughts on a counter flow chiller design that I ended up building tonight. There was a conversation about a principle in fluid dynamics called laminar flow which I had not considered or heard about prior. I realized after spending the entire day thinking about that concept that home brewing for me is a way to give a tangible reason to further my education in all these weird and whacky realms that brewing gets me into. I've spent countless hours researching the smallest little things that if it were not in the pursuit of better beer I'm not sure if it would have kept my attention.

I'm sure some people are quite the opposite and just find it relaxing to make beer and don't wanna ruin it by getting too deep with it, this I completely admire but it's miles away from how I've approached it.

So where do you stand with it?

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: Why do you brew?

Post by mckay75 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 am

Always looking for a better beer. Also because I spend the better part of my time in my basement to keep from annoying the shit out of my wife. May as well brew beer. Electric brewery was the best investment ever.

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:52 am

I brew to make beer I enjoy. I brew with propane and really enjoy being outside and enjoy the process of Biab. I typically brew in the evening once the kids are in bed and wife is downstairs so I can be left a lone. Even tho brewing is a lot of work I find it relaxing in a sense when it’s just me with peace and quiet lol. I guess it’s ME TIME away from a busy young family, that produces a gift that keeps on giving.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 am

Originally I started brewing as a source of lower cost craft beer. As the hobby grew, what I really enjoy is the process of making beer and then improving on both the process and the quality of the final product. I typically brew alone, early on a Sunday morning, allowing myself a bit of time away from work and home responsibilities.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 pm

I am a "just toss it in" brewer/cook. I do have some go to recipes but what ever I do it makes beer.

I brew because I like process, no mater how random it is.

GF has made my life much simpler but I can brew beer faster than ever. I may need more fermenters.

S

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:53 pm

I brew because I appreciate and enjoy all aspects of it - the research, the building, the ingredients, the process, the science, the end product. It still amazes me that I can take a bag of raw ingredients and, a couple months later, I have beer. The quality isn't quite what I want yet, but I'm getting closer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:16 pm

mckay75 wrote:Always looking for a better beer. Also because I spend the better part of my time in my basement to keep from annoying the shit out of my wife. May as well brew beer. Electric brewery was the best investment ever.
Hahaha nice man! My electric brewery was a game changer for me as well. It took some blood sweat and tears to get it going but not having to brave the elements every week to brew beer is a great improvement.

I live with roommates still. Moving in with the miss soon but it’s definitely necessary to have a space of your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:13 am

I started brewing in college, only a few years after I started drinking beer, so I don’t know any different. Also, NSLC doesn’t sell my beer. I don’t mean to say that my beer is better by any means, because it isn’t, but it’s the way I want it. It just seems completely normal to me at this point, if I want beer (and I do!), it means having to make it. Not brewing just isn’t an option to me.

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:07 pm

I started brewing way back in university, partly for the cheep booze and partly it was something fun to do with the guys. I picked it up again a few years ago because I wanted to play around with making my own 'good craft beer', and because I had a good friend who was also interested in good beer and trying to make our own. We still do a brew day together every now and then, but mostly he just drinks what I make. :D I keep at it because I like beer, and the process of brewing and improving my beer appeals to my creative, anal-retentive and perfectionist soul. I brew outside with propane, but have thought about going electric with a Grainfather or Robobrew. Especially for those wet and wintery days. And all you guys saying how much easier electric makes you're brew day aren't helping my wallet this close to Christmas :D
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 pm

I started making beer kits as a way to get a half-decent beer far cheaper than I could buy in the NSLC. Once I made the move to all grain the quality difference was huge so I couldn't go back. The whole "cheap beer" has become a thing of the past, especially with investing in a robobrew recently. Quality has also dropped with learning a new system when I was only 8-9 batches in but that will hopefully come back up when I figure out my beersmith profiles.

I would like to spend more time researching brewing techniques, water chemistry and recipes to improve my end product but right now I'm lucky to get time to throw a recipe together and get brewing. It'll come in the end though!

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 am

Back in the day? To save money and that is still true when you look at the price of Craft beer today. Now I just like to make beer because it is fun, along with saving money. I usually make Pilsners and there are not a lot out there that I like. From grain to glass, it is a fascinating hobby and I can't see myself not making beer.

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Name: sean osborne

Post by saosborne » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 am

In the pastequipped with 2 buckets and a brewhouse kit it looked like I was going to save so much money on beer. About a decade later, 4 complete brewing systems, 2 kegging systems and more stainless steel than most restaurants. When we were buying a new house,having a dedicated space for brewing was the #1 thing I was looking at. Saving money has gone out the window now it's a passion

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Post by sgrhyno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am

I'm almost positive my wife rues the day she decided to buy me a carboy and ferm bucket for Christmas. It took less than a year to figure out washing bottles sucked...so kegs. Then only a few more months to ask myself the question...'how do I make this stuff from scratch?'. That question changed everything!!.. I've DIY'd my entire brewery making small upgrades as I can afford to...currently 3 vessel (converted kegs)and 3 tier and still on propane. Is it the prettiest? no. Are the designs 'my' original? no. It took some research and design knockoffs, but I built it all myself and I absolutely love it!! Next step is to move to electric HERMS system in the basement, with integrated 'water still' using the HLT as a cold water source for a condenser when I'm not brewing...

An interesting hobby, more opportunity than other hobbies to build your own shit, and a resulting product that you can be proud to share with friends. That's why I brew.

Oh....and I like to get drunk too.... :drunk: :spilly:

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Post by joe_r_harvie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Because I can brew a high quality product at 1/4th of the cost at the NSLC. Plus I brew the styles I like. Nothing worse than visiting the NSLC's skeleton selection and sampling a $5 can of beer that tastes like astringent cat piss. And it gives my wife some peace and quiet too.
Primary -
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Best Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Obsession. Blind, uncompromising, relentless obsession.

I imagine I'm not alone here. It's the feeling that in order to truly understand a product, one must deconstruct it and experience every stage of it's production for oneself. Whether that be any fermentation project, modernist cooking, photography, woodworking. It's not that I feel I can do better than a seasoned and trained professional, because that's definitely not always the case! I love drinking beer made by the professionals too, but after brewing from simple ingredients, or making sourdough bread from a flour starter, etc, I feel like I appreciate the effort more and don't mind paying money for good beer.

I love that with brewing you can go as deep as you want into the process. You can pitch some yeast into a Festabrew kit and ladle it right out of the bucket 7 days later. Or you can try malting your own grain. Grow your own hops. Harvest your own yeast. I will research to death anything i'm interested in, and just can't stop when it comes to brewing.

Yeah. I used to think about how much money I was saving per glass, but when I think what I've spent on equipment since the gift of a simple brew kit 7 years ago, what i've given away to friends for free.........

And all I've got to show for it is Meatloaf's tittes.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Meatloaf’s titties!!! Hahahhahaha

Reading these has been an absolute pleasure

ahunt
Name: Alex

Post by ahunt » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I like sharing my beer with guests. The homebrew community is great and very supportive as well.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am

Sharing with guests is awesome. We had family here and they brought beer and drank my Octoberfest most of the time. They said, " sorry ", I said sorry? Love it. Nice to see people appreciate homebrew. Besides, that is one of the reasons I homebrew to see people enjoying your beer.

Bitterman
Name: Gerald

Post by Bitterman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:50 am

There's nothing like sharing a pint of well made craft beer with friends and knowing that you made it and had fun doing it!
(doesn't hurt that it only cost 60 cents a glass too)
"Relax, don't worry, have a Homebrew" :cheers3:

On Tap:
Smoked Chocolate Porter
English Pale Ale
German Pilsner

In the Cupboard:
Dunkels Bock

Up Next:
Canadian Ale

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:47 am

I sold the idea to my wife with "I can make beer cheaper than I can buy it at NSLC". This statement is still true today, if you don't factor in the cost of the equipment... That was a surprise I have been adding too for what seems like years.
My taste in beer has changed so much since I started with Festa kits. I can make what I like to have on tap, and have something for friends and family.
I love taking a keg camping, it is a conversation topic while I share with others!
In the end, I brew because I like to brew, I enjoy it, I enjoy the process, and I enjoy the results and hearing that others like it too.
I am not a science guy, so don't understand all of the aspects of what does what and why, just can't wrap my head around that.
Happy brewing and enjoying!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”