2018 Advent - December 17 - Smoked Porter

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

2018 Advent - December 17 - Smoked Porter

Post by mdentremont » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 pm

The original plan was to make a Rauchbier, but lagering was not in the cards so I made a pivot to a Smoked Porter. It was brewed right around the time the designated smoking area fiasco went down so I chose By-Law N-300 as the name.

I usually brew with @danlatimer on his 10 gallon setup, and we each take 5 gallons. Lately we've started to run a separate brew on my 5-gallon setup which is where this was brewed. This beer was intended to be a little bigger, but I'm still dialing in the equipment profiles so the batch ended up having an extra 2 liters.

-System-
Turkey Fryer & Gatorade Cooler, efficiency ~70% (props to Off-Track Brewing for the cooler)

-Malt-
3.49kg 2-Row
1.67kg Smoked Malt (Beech)
0.3kg Black Malt
0.3kg Chocolate Malt
0.25kg Crystal 75L

-Hops-
60 mins - 25g Magnum @ 11.3%
5 mins - 26g Mt. Hood @ 5.3%

-Yeast-
US05

-Water-
North end water adapted to the BeerSmith Porter Profile

Ferm temp about 20 Celcius

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.25%
Last edited by mdentremont on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Re: 2018 Advent - December 17 - Smoked Porter

Post by KB1138 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Roasty and chocolate notes, meld really well with the smoke. Good balance of sweet/bitter/smoke. Well made beer
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:05 pm

I’ll have to drink her tomorrow night as I’m not home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 pm

In the aroma I'm getting some hops, smoke, medicinal phenolic character and some small amounts of sweet/caramel malt character, low roast. I'm getting some nice biscuit type and caramel flavours with some smokeyness. I find flavour changes as it warms and some really smooth and chocolatey flavours pop out. This almost seems like a different beer as it goes from cold to warm. There is a metallic flavour that appears in the late finish. I'm not sure where that comes, maybe the type of smoked malt, or water adjustments but those are just a guess. Overall I find the beer nice, and I'd gladly have a second. Thanks!

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:22 am

I got a nice aroma of dark fruit on the nose that was present on the palate as well. Definitely some medicinal phenolics as well that are reminiscent of whisky. The malt wasn't too prominent, but still nice and round and a good base for the other things going on. I definitely got the metallic finish as well, but it wasn't distracting or anything. A nice, not-too-sweet porter with some interest from the smoke. Thanks!

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 am

Thought this was a really nice porter with just a hint of smoke. Appreciated that it wasn't too sweet but there were still interesting layers of malt going on. Well done, thanks :)

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 pm

OK, I'll say up front that I'm not a fan of smoked beers. That said, this was pretty good. Smoke was not overwhelming and there was a very find porter there as a base. Thanks for sharing.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 pm

I poured this at about 12c. Think I would prefer it there anyway. Nice dark tan head that stayed around for long enough.

Slight smoke and roast on the nose. Pretty satisfying mouthfeel as I often find these beers are brewed too “thin” for my liking. I might bump up the body a little somehow while still achieving similar dryness to compliment the smoke but that’s just me.

I never notice hops in these beers until it’s painfully obvious and everyone else tastes it before me so I can’t comment on that.

I’m not getting the medicinal/phenolics others did. I’m just getting the combo of the roast and smoke malt that’s bordering on the low end of “phenolic soup” that you commonly hear about but not to the extent that it really detracts from anything I’m more so pointing out that this is what we are tackling when brewing these beers.

Great job bud and thanks for the brew!

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Have to add: Killer name! Haha

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Nice smoke flavour although I'd like a bit more, good balance all around. Easy drinking beer and It is a fantastic name :cheers3:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Fantastic beer, can’t add much more than what anyone else with much more knowledge said! Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:00 am

Not a fan of smoke in a beer. This was not too over powering and was still able to enjoy the porter underneath. Thanks!

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Enjoying this. Held off drinking this after a line of dark beers.

Nice smokey flavor and a tasty porter. The smoke was restrained enough that it doesn't over power. I got a little something on the finish as well but that's being picky I quite enjoyed it.

Sent from my smartphone

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Really enjoyed this. Nice full body and just enough Rauch. Cheers!
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Return to “Recipes”