2018 Advent - December 14 Kettle Caramelized IPA

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

2018 Advent - December 14 Kettle Caramelized IPA

Post by ivorm » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Edit: Sorry I put the wrong date on this when I posted it. This is the beer for the 14th, not the 18th.

This is my second attempt at brewing a kettle caramelized IPA. Unfortunately, the first batch turned out better, probably due to the fact that it was brewed with all Citra except for some Warrior for bittering. I did go with a different yeast on this one to. The colour came out pretty good on both attempts for 100% 2-row.

Style: American IPA (This seems close to a DIPA though)
Brewed: October 20th
TYPE: All Grain
OG: 1.069
FG:1.010
7.8% ABV
Notes:'

-After the mash and sparge I warmed the wort to 180F and let it sit there for 36 hours then started my boil
-After the boil I cooled to about 190F and added my whirlpool hops and left the pump run for about 20 minutes
-Transferred to fermenter, chilled down to 17C and pitched my decanted yeast starter
-I let the temperature gradually rise up to 21C over a couple days then kept it there
-Added the dry hops
-Crashed the beer, transferred to keg
-I had a bit of trouble bottling it, it may have been over carbed

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.65 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC (obviously this doesn't apply)
Estimated IBU: 109.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
33.44 l adjusted water Water 1 -
6.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 100.0 %
28.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 27.9 IBUs
1.45 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 4 -
28.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 10.1 IBUs
28.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.1 IBUs
113.50 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool (20 min) Hop 7 31.6 IBUs
113.50 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool(20min) Hop 8 34.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Burlington Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP095) Yeast 9 -
120.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
120.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Robobrew Mash and Sparge Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 20.34 l of water at 156.1 F 148.0 F 60 min
Ramp up for mash out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Sparge with 13.82 l water at 168.0 F

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Re: 2018 Advent - December 14 Kettle Caramelized IPA

Post by PMackie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Well the 18th is mine and I hope it is half as good as this. I really enjoyed it with my supper. Thanks for the beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:12 pm

This was an excellent beer. The colour was lovely. Lots of sweetness from the malt, especially as it warmed. I definitely picked up the caramelized aspect. Nicely countered by the hops early on. The hops struggled to keep up near the end, though. Also nicely carbonated.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm

The color on this is really amazing; even moreso knowing that it's nothing but 2-row. Perfect bitterness, nice carbonation, plenty of hop aroma after the pour. The caramelization gives it a really nice sweetness. American hops, plenty of malt flavor, my only complaint is that the finish is a little thin considering the sweetness. Maybe that's why it feels like the hops tail off a little? Still, quite pleasant to drink; thanks for sharing!

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:51 am

Really like this beer. Nice to try a Homebrewed version of the Kettle caramelization process. I definitely taste the similarities between this and Nash’s brews, or perhaps just some really nice IPA’s in general that I’ve had.

It seems to allow the beer to be very malt driven and moderately sweet without it detracting from the hops. Like years ago when everyone put too much crystal in their IPA’s to achieve something similar but this actually does it well.

It also seems to do something nice to the hops, it’s not a hop mess which I taste in toooooo many IPA’s, or perhaps it’s just the right varieties and balance but i get more of a fruity and soft hop flavor that’s distinguishable from the other flavors.

Thanks

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks for the beer! I think I must have knocked the bottle before I opened it because mine was really carbonated.. a little too much so I think I'm at fault for that. I had the same experience as Buccaneer, as it warmed I felt it was a little too sweet for my taste. I still think it was a nice beer, I guess I just have to drink faster! :cheers3:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Having this one now, playing a little catchup after a weekend away. the depth of the malt on this beer is fantastic, so much flavor coming from a single malt. The balance is also great as it's going down pretty easy :cheers3:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Very nice. I regret checking the recipe before writing this. i can't believe it is only 2-row either. Beautiful tan colour, a head with small bubbles that lace on the glass. Nice balance between the hops and the caramelized malt sweetness. They go very well together.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Just reading now that only 2-row was used - mind blown! Really enjoyed this beer, I passed it around the room at a friend's house and everybody really liked it, I was definitely sad once it was finished. I also didn't find it tasted super strong despite now seeing it's 8% - the caramelization must hide the booziness. Thanks for sharing!!

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I enjoyed it as well, although I did find it to be a little sweet. It was also probably a little over carbed, like I said, it was interesting bottling it. I haven't drank my bottle yet, I still have a bit on tap. I'll have to try the bottle this week and see how the carbonation is.

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Nice persistent head. A blast of hops on the nose. Flavour-wise the kettle caramelization stood out, but I though it was balanced with the hop bitterness. Enjoyable to drink, and as already noted above disappeared all too quickly and smoothly for 8%. Thanks for sharing.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am

Definitely picked up the caramelization. Amarillo is one of my favourite hops. Went down quick, wished there was more. Thanks!

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Judged without recipe. But guessed something was afoot

This is an interesting beer in that it shows what happens if you take the low temperature melanoidin reaction out too long. It gets a bit too candied. And gives you a difficult wort to balance. This is partly because you didn’t do what Nash does. He has his boiling hops in the melanoidin rest. Not just malt. And the dark colour you got is a function of time. DOA is probably 18 hrs +/- for that orange. And there’s not the cloying caramel candy.

Still an excellent fun beer which includes a lesson.

----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Hint to others. A long simmer at 62-65 degrees with boiling hops causes at least 3 things. The colour change, causing what should be a pale beer to be darker, depending on how long the low temp melanoidin reaction is allowed to occur.

A taste change in the malt where sotolon is produced. (Look that up).

A taste change in hop bitter where the more volatile and harsh components can be driven off and the beer made softer and hoppy. But not harsh.

The above describes all of Unfiltered smash series.

----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Brewnoser wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 pm
Judged without recipe. But guessed something was afoot

This is an interesting beer in that it shows what happens if you take the low temperature melanoidin reaction out too long. It gets a bit too candied. And gives you a difficult wort to balance. This is partly because you didn’t do what Nash does. He has his boiling hops in the melanoidin rest. Not just ma...

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I agree that it's too sweet, at least for my liking. The first batch I made didn't simmer for quite as long as this one and turned out better. I was following some information posted in a beer exchange thread on here where someone had suggested the 36 hour simmer. I didn't know having the hops in for the simmer would make a difference. I might try to brew another one over the holidays and I'll revise the recipe. We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks,
Ivor

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 am

Drinking this now, as we brew our boxing rock competition beer. Look at that head! This is a really impressive beer through and through. Gorgeous colour, and the hops still taste very fresh. Thanks for sharing!Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Return to “Recipes”