Decembeer 30, 2018 Recipe Pliny The Elder - Replaced Hibiscus Weizen that didn't pass QC

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Decembeer 30, 2018 Recipe Pliny The Elder - Replaced Hibiscus Weizen that didn't pass QC

Post by danlatimer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Pliny The Elder Clone

23L Batch

8kg 2-Row
0.25kg Wheat Malt

71g Magnum - 90 mins
57g Chinook - 90 mins
31g Simcoe - 45 mins
28g Columbus - 30 mins
64g Cascade - 0 mins
28g Simcoe - 0 mins

92g Columbus - 3 days
50g Cascade - 3 days
49g Simcoe - 3 days

Safale US-05

This beer replaced the previous one that got infected:

Flower Power - Hibiscus Weizen

I tried a Hibiscus Weizen in Belgium which was the inspiration for this beer.

42L Batch

Est. OG: 1.052 SG
Est. FG: 1.012 SG
Est. ABV: 5.3%
Bitterness: 12.9 IBUs
Colour: 2.6 SRM

7kg Pilsner Malt
3kg Wheat Malt

30g Glacier Hops - 60 min
30g Glacier Hops - 10 min
20g Bitter Orange Peel - 5 min
30g Hibiscus - 5 min

2 Packs of M20 (Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat)

Target Mash Temp - 65.5c
Target Fermentation Temp - 16c
Last edited by danlatimer on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Re: Decembeer 30, 2018 Recipe Hibiscus Weizen

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am

Looks awesome, are you kegging it? I've done a few beers with hibiscus, you should get a good deal of colour throwing it in the boil but not as much flavour. For that berry/tart flavour I've made a tea and threw that in at kegging, either way looks like a great beer Dan!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 am

Ah interesting Cam, this is my first recipe with Hibiscus, I've also read that some people will "dry hop" using hibiscus, tasting it on occasion until it has a balanced profile.

Yeah I'm planning on kegging one of the two batches and bottle conditioning the rest for the decembeer exchange :D

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:06 am

danlatimer wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 am
Ah interesting Cam, this is my first recipe with Hibiscus, I've also read that some people will "dry hop" using hibiscus, tasting it on occasion until it has a balanced profile.

Yeah I'm planning on kegging one of the two batches and bottle conditioning the rest for the decembeer exchange :D
Cool, careful with dry-hopping with hibiscus as they are flowers could have some wild stuff on em, but post-fermentation there might be enough alcohol to prevent anything from growing. I was burned once when I whirlpooled with some and in a few weeks formed a pretty solid pellice!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Good point, glad I did a late boil addition, hopefully it turns out well :D

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:22 pm

sounds tasty
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Decembeer 30, 2018 Recipe Pliny The Elder - Replaced Hibiscus Weizen that didn't pass QC

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 pm

One one hand, great malt side and that's really important to this recipe. Nice malt character with just a touch of bready wheat. Also, the bitterness is well-controlled considering how much hops are added before the 30 minute mark.

On the other, for all the hops, I'm mostly smelling and tasting the malt. I found this a touch sweet compared to the real deal (although to be fair it's been a while since I've had a Pliny), so I'm wondering whether it might have been a touch underattenuated? I just feel like half a pound of dry hop should have been a little more prominent.

Anyways, hoppy or not, this went down easy for a DIPA on a lazy Sunday. Thanks!

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Decembeer 30, 2018 Recipe Pliny The Elder - Replaced Hibiscus Weizen that didn't pass QC

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I've been chatting with Liverdance about this one and he says when he opened his he could smell hops immediately, so hopefully that's what most people got. I wouldn't say mine was undercarbed so my best guess for what I tasted, that the cap leaked, doesn't seem likely. Anyways, hopefully you can ignore my post above as an outlier and unlucky bottle. Cheers!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 pm

I got a great burst of hops from the get go! was a a great football watching beer but it relation to the original pliny it was darker for sure. Hops were there and tasty as heck. thanks for sharing :cheers3:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Just drinking mine now. It's a really tasty DIPA. Mine had no carbonation problems at all, I'd say perfectly carbed. Tons of hops and some nice malt character. I'm getting a bit of hot alcohols so I'd check into improving the health of your fermentation if you wanted to improve upon this beer. Thanks for sharing!

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to start adopting a ramp up fermentation schedule from now on :D

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Very good beer! I loved the hop/malt balance, it reminded me somewhat of Vicar's which is one of my faves. Dan and I ended up brewing a slightly lower ABV variant which we've named "Blimy the Baby", I'm excited to have it on tap soon!

Return to “Recipes”