Festa question

A spot to talk general homebrew
Cully

Festa question

Post by Cully » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:38 pm

So, I'm moving on in my quest-a to find the right Festa and i am very happy with the cream and pale as lighter ales and the red with the scotch as the colder weather brews. The kegerator is ready for another variation and I'm thinking of putting a blonde 'lager' in the dugout for the spring/ warmer weather. Thing is, lots of opinion shows very mixed and almost negative on the Blonde. Some say it's a lager, others a light ale, if it were the latter, I'm onboard as I'd prefer to avoid the 'Festa Dry Debacle' where 4 weeks after pitching yeast, I came out with a full bodied Bud Light......

I have the DOS nicely smoothing itself out in the keg as well as the special ESB with a Fursty Ferret clone from the BIAB ready to rock next week.

All feedback is appreciated.

BC

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Re: Festa question

Post by John G » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:10 pm

If you have the ability to do a BIAB grain recipe, why not put on your own version of light lager? The mash is simple. It's how you ferment the beer that is key to this style.

If you ferment the Festa blonde lager at ale temperatures (18+ deg C), it's likely be more like an ale (more esters). If you ferment it at lager temps with lager yeast (I don't know what yeast comes with that kit) and properly lager it you'll get more lager characteristics (less esters, clean lager aroma, flavour and mouthfeel). However, with beer kits, you are at the mercy of whatever grain bill and mash temperatures they decided to use that will affect the body and finishing gravity of the beer regardless of what you do with yeast and fermentation.

Andrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 pm

The Best festa is the pale ale with alot of cascade dry hop.
I wouldnt bother with the lager unless u have the temp controle.

DocksideBrewing
Name: Stew

Post by DocksideBrewing » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 am

Andrew wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 pm
The Best festa is the pale ale with alot of cascade dry hop.
I wouldnt bother with the lager unless u have the temp controle.
I would agree! I have been tight for time lately, so I had to take some steps back and take the easy way out with a Festa Brew. I got the Pale Ale this time and Dry Hopped with 75g of Citra. Pretty nice finished product for a boxed beer, with the citrus flavor definitely coming out from the dry hop!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”