December 2019 Exchange - Dec 3 - Santa's Little Nip

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

December 2019 Exchange - Dec 3 - Santa's Little Nip

Post by danlatimer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm

I've been told that some people didn't get the reference that nip means a drink of alcohol.

Peppermint IPA

Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV: 5.5%

Fermentables

6.45kg 2-row

Hops

58g Northern Brewer - 10 mins
58g Northern Brewer - 3 days before kegging

Yeast: US-05
Mash @ 66.7C 60 mins
Ferment @ 19C

Priming Sugar added, 1 dram of peppermint oil added.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: December 2019 Exchange - Dec 3 - Santa's Little Nip

Post by GAM » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:28 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm
I've been told that some people didn't get the reference that nip means a drink of alcohol.
You and 9 Locke in one day! WOW!

S

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:42 pm

GAM wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:28 pm

S
😂

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Just finished this one, you certainly got lots of aroma from the peppermint oil and a nice touch of flavour without being overwhelming. Not something I’d normal think I’d like but I enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm

I enjoyed this one. It made me laugh. The base beer is well brewed, although more of an APA than an IPA. It tastes like candy canes, haha. I wonder if a small amount of light crystal malt to round out the mouthfeel would help support the peppermint addition. I get a slight astringent finish that I wonder if it's from the peppermint, but it also provides a very long lasting cooling effect. Fun stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Tons of peppermint aroma on this beer! Looks great, nice carbonation as well. I liked it and honestly didn't think I would. I think I would like to try it with a touch less of the peppermint and maybe a bit more of the Northern Brewer late hops to get more of an even blend. Safe to say this only works in December :)

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Haha yeah it's a different one for sure. It's been pretty popular at home.

@John G - if you're interested in trying one with more crystal malt the commercial example that inspired this beer is heavy in crystal. That was one thing about it that I didn't like though, I was expecting a refreshing beer when I bought it and it had too much caramel flavours for my taste. https://www.mynslc.com/en/products/Beer ... 32013.aspx

@Halifax_Jeff version 1 of this I used 2/3 a container (dram) of peppermint oil. I liked it but as we got to the end of the keg it kept getting more and more pepperminty probably due to it being an oil and floating haha. I actually found that as we got more peppermint people were liking it more (and so was I) definitely a personal preference kind of thing though. Was interesting to taste it at different levels of peppermint though.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Halifax_Jeff wrote:Tons of peppermint aroma on this beer! Looks great, nice carbonation as well. I liked it and honestly didn't think I would. I think I would like to try it with a touch less of the peppermint and maybe a bit more of the Northern Brewer late hops to get more of an even blend. Safe to say this only works in December :)
Now that it's warmed up a bit the flavors are much smoother.. I think my beer fridge is too cold. Nice festive

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Great job man! Kim didn’t get the nip thing either. It was used quite a bit back home but clearly not on that side of the province, although they do definitely have their nips.

This beer will likely go down as the most memorable of the exchange. I was very surprised to enjoy it at all since I don’t like peppermint and not a huge fan of any “flavouring added” beers but this was well done.

Thanks man

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:52 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm
Haha yeah it's a different one for sure. It's been pretty popular at home.

@John G - if you're interested in trying one with more crystal malt the commercial example that inspired this beer is heavy in crystal. That was one thing about it that I didn't like though, I was expecting a refreshing beer when I bought it and it had too much caramel flavours for my taste. https://www.mynslc.com/en/products/Beer ... 32013.aspx

@Halifax_Jeff version 1 of this I used 2/3 a container (dram) of peppermint oil. I liked it but as we got to the end of the keg it kept getting more and more pepperminty probably due to it being an oil and floating haha. I actually found that as we got more peppermint people were liking it more (and so was I) definitely a personal preference kind of thing though. Was interesting to taste it at different levels of peppermint though.
Oh that's deadly you had a baseline to go from. I like the pepermint level now that its warmed and wouldn't change it. When it was colder it wasn't blending as nicely.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Hahah yeah Glen, I didn't realize the nip thing wasn't a well known phrase. Ah well.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm about to open yours up now :D

Nice @Halifax_Jeff, glad you're liking it. I would be curious if any of the decembeer participants end up trying the moosehead version I'd love to hear your thoughts on which parts of either you liked. I made 2 more kegs for the holidays (lol) and though it was my third time brewing it I kept to the v2 recipe. I just didn't see anything obvious that I wanted to change.

I do like the idea to dry hop bomb it and see how that goes though and I could still do that on one of my two new kegs to see how it goes

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Poured with a nice head and a strong peppermint aroma with hints of lemon or lime. The flavour is balanced heavily by the peppermint with a small amount lemon character and possibly other hops coming through. I pick up a bit of malt sweetness but it's overpowered by the peppermint. I'm even getting it in the mouthfeel. If I were to make this I'd tone down the peppermint quite a bit and let that nice lemon/lime character shine a bit more.

After I wrote this I was looking at the recipe to figure out what that lemon character I'm getting is. Maybe it's from the peppermint oil maybe the hops or both together, I'm not sure, but I really like that part.

Thanks for the experience! I would have never thought to try a peppermint beer otherwise.
Last edited by CartoonCod on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 am

danlatimer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm
Those people never got the best gifts for Christmas.
GAM wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:28 pm
I never thought of Dan as a misogynist. What's the problem?
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:06 am

Well I got the Nip reference, as did my wife so your safe in my house. As for the beer I really enjoyed it. On the nose it smells like the peppermint might be overwhelming, but once you take a sip its actually quite mellow and works nicely with the malt and hop choices. I really enjoyed this, as did my wife in the few sips I let her taste. She turned and said to me, can you have this beer made and turned around by Christmas haha
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am

@PMackie Haha, yeah I wasn't planning on making a fourth keg of it as I could do a single keg indoors using my grainfather but I suggested I could do a forth at the same time on my 20g propane setup and was requested to do so to bring some around to xmas parties haha.

If anyone is interested in making this the peppermint oil can be found at bulk barn for 2 containers (enough for 42L) for $5.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:00 pm

I opened this without knowing what it was. The peppermint was quite strong. Even as I sipped away at it over the course of an hour, it never waned. Indeed, I could smell it from across the room.

That strong aroma concerned me, but the base beer was hiding in there. I noticed it more so as it warmed.

Overall, I thought this was great. Very clean, base beer was still there, excellent carbonation Maybe a little less peppermint. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:13 pm

PMackie wrote:Well I got the Nip reference, as did my wife so your safe in my house. As for the beer I really enjoyed it. On the nose it smells like the peppermint might be overwhelming, but once you take a sip its actually quite mellow and works nicely with the malt and hop choices. I really enjoyed this, as did my wife in the few sips I let her taste. She turned and said to me, can you have this beer made and turned around by Christmas haha
Quite possibly the best of compliments haha “you there! Make this now!”

Kim absolutely loved this beer and had a “wow” look on her face while drinking it.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Haha glad to hear it. Makes me curious what else the peppermint oil would be good in.

bulk barn where I bought it:
https://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/products/all ... -oil-17367

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:15 pm

Solid beer Dan, I can't wait to try the next one you make!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:58 am

Had this last night - I think the base beer was obviously well brewed but and the peppermint addition was certainly interesting. I don't know if I'd ever order another peppermint beer again, to be honest, but it was fun to try.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks Matt, looking forward to trying yours in the exchange.

Haha yup it's definitely not going to be a favourite for everyone, Darci and Jenn, thanks for your feedback.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Very refreshing! Lots of peppermint on the nose, and in the taste as well. I expected it would be more overpowering, but it seems like an appropriate amount to me. I think Northern Brewer was a perfect choice of hop for this. Thanks for the share.Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Count me among those who were dubious when they saw “peppermint ipa” but also among those who were pleasantly surprised.

Like Adam I love the lemon/lime note. I’m also with John regarding a little crystal for some residual sweetness (and I’m normally against crystal in an IPA).

A super interesting beer. Thanks for sharing!

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jmacdonald » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Loved this one. Was not sure what to expect with the peppermint in a beer that was not a porter or stout. Ended up enjoying this a lot, peppermint level was there but not overpowering. Sad when the glass was empty. Thanks!

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Ha, my son would love this. It’s like drinking a candy cane! He’s three though, so all for me.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t looking forward to this. I kind of hate candy canes. It’s still a beer though, and a well made one at that, so I’m drinking it all anyway. And I guess I must like it more than I think because it’s half gone already.

Return to “Recipes”