December 2019 Exchange - Dec. 7 - NEIPA

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

December 2019 Exchange - Dec. 7 - NEIPA

Post by ivorm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:23 pm

Brewed Nov. 4th
Kegged Nov. 19th
Bottled Nov. 23rd

21B. Specialty IPA: New England IPA
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.013
6.5% ABV
Mashed at 152F for 60 Minutes

Malt
4.88 kg Pale 2-Row 76.4 %
0.45 kg Oats, Flaked 7.1 %
0.45 kg Wheat 7.1 %
0.45 kg Wheat, Flaked 7.1 %
0.15 kg Honey Malt 2.3 %

Hops
35.00 g Citra [12.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min 16.0 IBUs
35.00 g El Dorado [13.70 %] - Boil 10.0 m 17.4 IBUs
30.00 g Citra [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 7.5 IBUs
50.00 g Citra [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.5 IBUs
50.00 g El Dorado [13.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 17.0 IBUs
50.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 8.9 IBUs

Yeast
1.0 pkg WLP066 London Fog Ale Yeast (used one package to made a starter)

Dry Hops
50.00 g El Dorado [13.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
35.00 g Citra [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
35.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
50.00 g Citra [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days
50.00 g El Dorado [13.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days
43.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days
Last edited by ivorm on Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Re: December 2019 Exchange - Dec. 7 - NEIPA

Post by John G » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Lots of hops. That's an expensive beer!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:14 pm

You ain't kidding! Looking forward to trying it!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:46 pm

John G wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:51 pm
Lots of hops. That's an expensive beer!
I don't get to brew as often as I'd like lately so I figured I may as well use some of the hops I have stored in my fridge. This is the 3rd time I've brewed one of these, all with different yeasts and slightly different hops though, it seems like what ever yeast I go looking for is never in stock.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Slowly sipping my way through this one with dinner.

There’s acetaldehyde but it’s buried in the mandarina Bavaria which aren’t complimenting each other, not surprisingly. Nice carbonation and mouthfeel. I think for me at least this is a case where less would have been much more, which is too bad since it’s clearly an expensive beer.

I’ve made a few beers like this where the recipe worked great up until I went overboard with the dry hops and then everything just began to get muddled and take on a grassy note which is only subtle here.

All that being said, subtract the acetaldehyde and there’s really nothing wrong with the beer. It’s really just after seeing the recipe that I’m harshly judging it.

I would not be surprised if your citra is oxidized or just past it’s prime, which happens very fast comparatively. Also citra shines well on its own and when it’s fresh, when it gets muddled in with a pile of other hops I find it kinda disappears and slides off into the oniony/garlic world.

Thanks for the beer though. Enjoying the opportunity to critique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Really great carb and lots of thick white head. It’s not a bad beer at all, but I’m getting a ton of sweetness from somewhere. Maybe someone with more tasting knowledge can explain why. Otherwise nice and hoppy, very drinkable and enjoyable.

Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 pm

It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited!

Great carb, generous head. Murky, which is not unexpected and I don't mind at all. Tasting/sniffing a little Acetaldehyde in the bg, but the green apple gets punched in the face by a multiheudafare of hops. A lot going on, but I enjoyed it. Thanks for the share!

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:36 pm

oceanic_brew wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:37 pm

There’s acetaldehyde but it’s buried in the mandarina Bavaria which aren’t complimenting each other, not surprisingly. Nice carbonation and mouthfeel. I think for me at least this is a case where less would have been much more, which is too bad since it’s clearly an expensive beer.

I’ve made a few beers like this where the recipe worked great up until I went overboard with the dry hops and then everything just began to get muddled and take on a grassy note which is only subtle here.

All that being said, subtract the acetaldehyde and there’s really nothing wrong with the beer. It’s really just after seeing the recipe that I’m harshly judging it.

I would not be surprised if your citra is oxidized or just past it’s prime, which happens very fast comparatively. Also citra shines well on its own and when it’s fresh, when it gets muddled in with a pile of other hops I find it kinda disappears and slides off into the oniony/garlic world.

Well now that you mention it I can taste the acetaldehyde, I thought it was just all the hops. My best guess as to the cause of the acetaldehyde would be not enough rest time on the yeast at warmer temperature. I ferment in a temperature controlled fridge in my garage, the garage was pretty cold for the last few days before kegging and I had to add a second warming belt to my fermenter because I couldn't get it up to temperature. The beer didn't get much time at the 20C-21C since I ran out of time before the exchange. I also used a backup temp controller (my regular one died) with an awkward 12" probe so I'm not sure how accurate my temps were.

I'd say I went pretty heavy on the hops but that's what I was going for, I like it when I buy a fresh NEIPA or IPA and it has that strong hop aroma and flavour. I hate it when I spend all the time brewing a batch of hoppy beer and it doesn't come out with a strong hoppy flavour. The citra hops were the last I had from the march 2018 group buy, but they were vacuum sealed in 1/2 pound bags and stored in the freezer since I got them. I probably should do a bit of a hop purge since I have some( even older ones) lingering in my fridge and I don't see myself putting them to use. I'm not sure what to do with all those old hops?

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:49 pm

PMackie wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm
Really great carb and lots of thick white head. It’s not a bad beer at all, but I’m getting a ton of sweetness from somewhere. Maybe someone with more tasting knowledge can explain why. Otherwise nice and hoppy, very drinkable and enjoyable.

I'm not sure what might cause the sweetness, there is some honey malt in there but I don't think it would make it taste that sweet. Maybe it the same off flavour (acetaldehyde) Glen mentioned above?

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:54 pm

GCR wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 pm
It's like there's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited!

Great carb, generous head. Murky, which is not unexpected and I don't mind at all. Tasting/sniffing a little Acetaldehyde in the bg, but the green apple gets punched in the face by a multiheudafare of hops. A lot going on, but I enjoyed it. Thanks for the share!

Thanks, yours looks little extra murky, maybe that was the first one off the keg. I was going for the punch in the face, not so much the acetaldehyde.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:57 am

I liked mine. Didn't get the off flavours only a touch of sweet which I didnt mind! Thanks

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:42 am

ivorm wrote:
oceanic_brew wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Well now that you mention it I can taste the acetaldehyde, I thought it was just all the hops. My best guess as to the cause of the acetaldehyde would be not enough rest time on the yeast at warmer temperature. I ferment in a temperature controlled fridge in my garage, the garage was pretty cold for the last few days before kegging and I had to add a second warming belt to my fermenter because I couldn't get it up to temperature. The beer didn't get much time at the 20C-21C since I ran out of time before the exchange. I also used a backup temp controller (my regular one died) with an awkward 12" probe so I'm not sure how accurate my temps were.

I'd say I went pretty heavy on the hops but that's what I was going for, I like it when I buy a fresh NEIPA or IPA and it has that strong hop aroma and flavour. I hate it when I spend all the time brewing a batch of hoppy beer and it doesn't come out with a strong hoppy flavour. The citra hops were the last I had from the march 2018 group buy, but they were vacuum sealed in 1/2 pound bags and stored in the freezer since I got them. I probably should do a bit of a hop purge since I have some( even older ones) lingering in my fridge and I don't see myself putting them to use. I'm not sure what to do with all those old hops?
I think this was a the perfect thing to do with them haha. That’s what I would have done.

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Not getting the acetylaldehyde, but a slightly sweet finish that's not offputting. Lot's of hop aromas and flavours, really nice citrus and stone fruit aroma. Carbonation is great, mouthfeel is great. Enjoyable. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I did not get the acetylaldehyde either, but there is a lot going on in there. Reminded me a bit of a highly hopped beer I made once. Thanks!

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:06 pm

I didn't get acetaldehyde until I came here and read about it ;)

At the same time, I don't think it was entirely psychosomatic, it's definitely there, but the hop onslaught is enough that my palate needs to look for it in order to find it.

All things considered I enjoyed this beer, and it was exactly what I wanted to drink when I drank it, which is a happy coincidence.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:12 pm

Very thick fluffy head on the pour. Incredibly murky.

Aroma in the glass reminded us of fruit cake.

Lots going flavour-wise. Took a bit, but there is some acetaldehyde in there. Very sweet on the finish - very caramelly, which is odd given the malt bill.

Certainly a crazy amount of hops. Very fragrant. Thanks so much for sharing.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 am

What a treat, not something you really find in stores as I'm guessing the margins would be too slim.

The carb is right where I'd want it to be. I'm seeing a nice murky/hazy golden colour with a bright white head that is staying around for the ride.

There's so much going on that if the acetaldehyde is there, I can't find it. It's quite heavy on the orange flavour , which is pairing really well with the sweetness some of the others mentioned.

Great job!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Lots of orange going on for sure. I do get a touch of the green apple but it blends in fairly well. Other than that this would be a crusher!

"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Holy hops. It is like biting into a grapefruit. Great carbonation and long lasting head and great balance for bitterness for the style. Underneath the hops I'm getting a bit of acetaldehyde (even before I read the other reviews) in the nose and taste. At least I think is acetaldehyde. It might something from using all those hops. Good beer nonetheless.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:19 pm

I had this last night, and didn’t take notes, although I remember it was right cloudy, and tasted like ALL the hops. I didn’t pick up on acetaldehyde.

Return to “Recipes”