Dec 28 - IPA & Cherry/Wine Blended Sour

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Dec 28 - IPA & Cherry/Wine Blended Sour

Post by ConanTroutman » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:31 pm

IPA:

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.013
ABV: 6.6%
IBUs: "64.7"

4.7kg Pils
0.30kg Honey

56.7g each of Galaxy/Simcoe/Idaho7 steeped @90c for 15min

Escarpment Voss Kveik @ 35C with a heat belt (1.013 in <24hrs on this one) @ 3psi

113.4g of Idaho 7 3 days prior to packaging

Pressurized transfer and packaged w/ a beer gun

My thoughts on this one:

Probably over a year since I brewed an IPA and my first using whirlpool/steeped additions. I was aware of the decreased perception in bitterness, but this was still a learning experience in just how more or less meaningless IBU calculations are, especially with steeped additions on a homebrew scale. Needless to say, I ended up with something less bitter than I was intending, next time I'll add some amount of bittering at the start of the boil to cover that. Overall happy with the hop profile otherwise, wasn't planning on entering this beer so I probably wouldn't have done a hoppy beer for the 28th had my other plan not gone sidewise. First time packaging with a beer gun, didn't get to sample any of the bottles myself since I came up short on volume, but feedback I got from the Big Spruce comp leads me to believe I should have compensated a bit by overcarbing as the bottles were perceived as being a bit low. Hopefully the packaging holds up and the pressurized transfer/bottle purging minimizes oxidation.

Sour

3:1:1 blend of cherry sour/pinot noir juice/brett saison

Cherry sour base

70% Pils
20% Raw Wheat
10% Chit Malt

Escarpment Cerberus & Belgian Sour Mix, brewed Feb 2019

125g/L Black sweet cherries for ~1.5 months

Pinot Noir/brett saison added prior to bottling, packaged with EC1118. ABV/IBU/etc are anyone's guess

This was my first attempt at blending and actually sampling different ratios, and while it didn't land where I was expecting, overall happy with this experiment. The brett saison seemed to dial back the acidity to right about where I wanted it, the pinot noir I feel could have been upped however. This was definitely a case of the room temperature of the samples coming across very differently than a chilled and carbonated blend from the bottle, as it warms the wine seems to come through quite a bit more. Overall the blend leaves the beer a bit more "one note" than I was hoping, but next time I brew something similar to this I'll probably try both warm and cold samples to see if there's noticeable difference and maybe try oak chips to get a bit more depth.

Also, I did receive some feedback on the Gahan comp that this one was a gusher. None of the bottles I've had gushed (I'm guessing theirs were warm and/or agitated), but just a fair warning to serve it cold and away from anything you don't want red wine stains on just in case!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Re: Dec 28 - IPA & Cherry/Wine Blended Sour

Post by GCR » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Drank this on Friday night while bottling a Cashmere tripel.

Very pretty colour, great carb, and a very pleasing aroma. The cherry was very present throughout - I think it is probably my fave fruit in beer (though raspberry would be a close runner up). Felt like I was getting some of the pinot noir on the nose as well.

I liked that it wasn't overly bitter - thought that was appropriate for this beer... but it would also be interesting to taste it with more of the IPA influence on it... that's the thing about blends, right? So many possibilities. And when the parts you're blending together are all great in their own right, it's hard to go completely wrong.

Really enjoyed this one, and I gotta say that while this is only the second year I've done this exchange - and last year was awesome as well - there's been some really damn fine beers this time around.Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:14 pm

GCR wrote:Drank this on Friday night while bottling a Cashmere tripel.

Very pretty colour, great carb, and a very pleasing aroma. The cherry was very present throughout - I think it is probably my fave fruit in beer (though raspberry would be a close runner up). Felt like I was getting some of the pinot noir on the nose as well.

I liked that it wasn't overly bitter - thought that was appropriate for this beer... but it would also be interesting to taste it with more of the IPA influence on it... that's the thing about blends, right? So many possibilities. And when the parts you're blending together are all great in their own right, it's hard to go completely wrong.

Really enjoyed this one, and I gotta say that while this is only the second year I've done this exchange - and last year was awesome as well - there's been some really damn fine beers this time around.Image

Ok so I admit I was a little tipsy when I drank this, and from reading your description I thought that you had blended the IPA with the sour, so I was looking for that and that's why my notes make no sense (re: bitterness). Anyway, it was a great beer.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Ha no problem, the title was a bit ambiguous. I came up short on volume for the ipa and luckily still had some left of the sour to fill out the rest.

Happy you enjoyed it!

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 am

Got barnyard on the nose along with the funk/barnyard in the finish. Sour was not too overly abundant. Overall not a bad beer but brett is not my favorite style. Thanks!

Return to “Recipes”