Hefeweizen in a Robobrew V3.1

A spot to talk general homebrew
Seashantybrewing
Name: Chad Burry

Hefeweizen in a Robobrew V3.1

Post by Seashantybrewing » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Hey everyone,
Going to try my luck at brewing a hefeweizen for the first time. My question is should I let my mash be a little thicker and do a ferulic acid rest at 110-113 and then add boiling water to finish mashing at 152? Or should I just do a single infusion mash for my first go with this style?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Re: Hefeweizen in a Robobrew V3.1

Post by danlatimer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:22 am

I've made probably 12 batches of Hefeweizen and hadn't heard of a ferulic acid rest before. Looked it up and ran into this brulosophy article where they didn't perceive much of a difference (http://brulosophy.com/2019/06/17/the-fe ... t-results/). That being said it's simple to do a rest in the mash on an electric brewing system so I'd say give it a try if you're curious.

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:24 pm

I've done one Hefeweizen, for the Big Spruce comp in 2018 (I think). It was my first Robobrew beer so I used it to its full potential by doing a ferulic acid rest. It was a 2 or 3 stage mash and I simply increased the heat using the smaller element to avoid scorching the grain. Worked fine but I've no idea if it gave the beer anything extra as I've never brewed one before or since.
I'm not sure you'd want a thicker mash though, depending on where you are getting your mash water quantity from. Through Beersmith Robobrew profile my mash is already super thick.

Seashantybrewing

Post by Seashantybrewing » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks for the response. So I did try it. I tried it at a thicker mash. I started at the 113F mash temperature and then added 154F+ water to bring the temperature up to finish off my mash. What I found was I couldnt get my temperature up fast enough so I had to mash way longer to get it to reach 154F. I was better off just adding the full mash amount and letting it rise up on it's own.
As for the ferulic acid mash step, I read an article about hefeweizens and they explained that the ferulic acid step is beneficial for the yeast to bring a better clove flavour forward. Not sure if this is true but still gave it a try. All in good fun to figure out better beers!

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Hmm, I'm guessing I don't understand how the robobrew works. On my grainfather I can just tell it what mash steps I want for how long and it will raise the temp as needed. Does the robobrew work differently?

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:40 am

danlatimer wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:30 pm
Hmm, I'm guessing I don't understand how the robobrew works. On my grainfather I can just tell it what mash steps I want for how long and it will raise the temp as needed. Does the robobrew work differently?
I think they work in much the same way but I've only ever used mine in manual mode. I never got around to testing the pre-program mode before the first circuit board melted on me (I have a v.3) so after that I wanted to keep a close eye on it to make sure it was safe.

Seashantybrewing

Post by Seashantybrewing » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:57 am

Yes you can program the mash steps. I just found it would take too long for the temperature to go from 113F to 154F. Mostly because I'm in a garage brewing during the winter time. So I tried to do a thicker mash and add higher temp water to speed up the process. Also I'm on v3.1 of the robobrew. It's the version they fixed the circuit board.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:03 am

Ah, I gotcha! The boiling water is to speed it up, makes sense :)

Seashantybrewing

Post by Seashantybrewing » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:11 am

Lol I could of explained that better

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”