Candian Competitions

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
buddha3004
Name: Nick

Candian Competitions

Post by buddha3004 » Tue May 10, 2022 7:55 am

Hi,
What are some up and coming homebrew competitions throughout Canada?
Does anyone know of any? I've looked on some website for Canada but nothing has really been updated since the pandemic. I don't really use social media and the only competitions ive entered are the ones people have posted here.

I really enjoy the feedback I get from the judges. Last time I was told to look after my yeast. Which is probably true as it was a slurry that I didn't make a starter for. I know meetups are happening and they would probably just be as good for feedback from people but having a family they would be last minute decisions to make it.
Anyway thanks for any info.
On Tap:English Pale Ale(Cone hops for Bittering), Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: American Lager
Planned: Maris/Wheat Pale Ale
Bottled: Cream Ale, Belgian Dubbel, ESB, Pale Ale

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Re: Candian Competitions

Post by JamesM80 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:04 pm

Not sure of when any other competitions are happening, but we're doing a meet up at my place tonight and always happy to have late arrivals. Not sure how many are coming, but always a good time to talk beer!
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

buddha3004
Name: Nick

Post by buddha3004 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:49 pm

Hey, yeah i had been reading that thread. I won't be able to make but will keep an eye out for the next one fore sure
On Tap:English Pale Ale(Cone hops for Bittering), Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: American Lager
Planned: Maris/Wheat Pale Ale
Bottled: Cream Ale, Belgian Dubbel, ESB, Pale Ale

BAbrewing
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BAbrewing » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:49 pm

Yeah, the lack of competitions this year has been disappointing. I was thinking about entering a few in the states.

Markthepen
Name: Mark Thepen

Post by Markthepen » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:13 am

Sorry to revive such an old post
But does anyone know of any Homebrew comps this year apart from the Gahan one that’s just passed?
Any info is much appreciated!

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:46 pm

Markthepen wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:13 am
Sorry to revive such an old post
But does anyone know of any Homebrew comps this year apart from the Gahan one that’s just passed?
Any info is much appreciated!
There are two in NS that you can count on running every year: Garrison and Big Spruce. Gahan/PEIBC seems to be pretty dedicated to being annual as well. Past that, there's nothing consistent in the region I don't think. Lunn's Mill, Sober Island, Truro Brewing Co, Propeller, and Good Robot all did at least one, but have been dormant for a year or more (I probably missed a few in NB/NL/PE). I've talked to Henry from Boxing Rock and I think they'd like to bring back a competition, but I don't think it will be the same Black Box concept and there's no timeline at this point.

Anyone who's been involved on the organizational side will tell you it's a lot of work, and a lot of smaller breweries realize after the first one that they just don't have the bandwidth to do it regularly. It would be awesome to get a Brewnosers Comp together again, but the group had a lot more active members the last time that was pulled off. I also wonder whether someone like BrewHQ or East Coast Hoppers or Shoreline might be interested in running one.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Great idea
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:02 pm

Smokehouse in Berwick also did a "1st Annual" homebrew comp in early 2022 but they probably fall into the smaller breweries not able to do it regularly camp. They might have also been distracted with opening a taproom in Halifax this year so we can cut them some slack I guess.

Have Garrison done one since Covid? The last I remember was in 2020 but I'm not in the city so could have missed them. I thought Big Spruce and Gahan were the only ones still regularly running the comps.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:43 pm

Naboo wrote:Smokehouse in Berwick
Like I said, I knew I was missing at least one!
Have Garrison done one since Covid? The last I remember was in 2020.
You’re absolutely right about that too! That one opened in January, 2020, and was judged in March right around when everything got crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor Vanbrewer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Taylor

Post by Taylor Vanbrewer » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:12 pm

https://canadahomebrews.ca/canadian-competitions/So the homebrewer of the year circuit has mostly/if not completely finished up for 2023 but if you keep this page bookmarked you will have a very useful calendar for next year.
Certified BJCP Judge/Punk Rock aficionado/Witless Dullard

Fermenting: Best Bitter

Lagering/Conditioning: Bouchet
Orange Blossom mead

Bottled/Conditioning: Apricot multigrain mixed ferm saison
Mixed ferm saison
Wit
Historic Barleywine

Return to “Competitions & Awards”