At this point I'm up in the air about buying a small counter top mount with hand crank for 70ish, or spend double that on one of the Millar Barley Crushers with 7lb hopper or similar. I typically do two batches a month, but don't want to end up with something I'm not happy with. So I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions.
Grain mill question?
- BigRig
- Registered User

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm
- Name: Al
- Location: Western NB
Grain mill question?
So I'm still fairly new to AG brewing, and have been purchasing my grain all milled. However I'm going to take the plunge and buy a mill. My question is, should I buy a cheaper one that is already preset to .045 or should I drop the extra bucks for one that is adjustable? Do different grains require different crushes for better conversions? I guess of all my searching I've never really come across anything that says exactly.
At this point I'm up in the air about buying a small counter top mount with hand crank for 70ish, or spend double that on one of the Millar Barley Crushers with 7lb hopper or similar. I typically do two batches a month, but don't want to end up with something I'm not happy with. So I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions.

At this point I'm up in the air about buying a small counter top mount with hand crank for 70ish, or spend double that on one of the Millar Barley Crushers with 7lb hopper or similar. I typically do two batches a month, but don't want to end up with something I'm not happy with. So I'm open to any recommendations/suggestions.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Grain mill question?
I have been happy with my motorized Crankenstein, but I believe guys are also quite happy with the nonadjustable ones as well.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- BigRig
- Registered User

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm
- Name: Al
- Location: Western NB
Re: Grain mill question?
Yes, I've been looking at those on beergrains.com, and have put some thought into it. I do however live close to the border and can have stuff sent to Houlton, ME for pickup. Still going to be over 100 for a good one no matter how I slice it. I like to buy in Canada if possible though.
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Grain mill question?
my $0.02, if you plan on using it for awhile, then get a crankandstein
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Grain mill question?
Mine is adjustable, but I've only ever used a different setting once, when I was using raw wheat. I'm not doing that again.
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Grain mill question?
No question. Buy a roller mill and the best you can afford.
I went with a Barley Crusher which I later motorized.
You can see it here http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... 1&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I went with a Barley Crusher which I later motorized.
You can see it here http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... 1&start=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Araxi
- Verified User

- Posts: 286
- Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm
- Name: Bruce
- Location: Riverview
Re: Grain mill question?
I also have the Barley Crusher which I motorized, very happy with it.
-
HotBreak
- Verified User

- Posts: 176
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm
- Name: Drew Turton
- Location: Fall River
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Grain mill question?
got an adjustable crankandstein, still using a drill, but it works great. haven't really fiddled with the adjustment... yet
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- Graham.C
- Verified User

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm
- Name: Graham Clark
- Location: Ottawa ON
Re: Grain mill question?
Same. Love it.CorneliusAlphonse wrote:got an adjustable crankandstein, still using a drill, but it works great. haven't really fiddled with the adjustment... yet
-Graham
- BigRig
- Registered User

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm
- Name: Al
- Location: Western NB
Re: Grain mill question?
Yup, I'm definitely leaning towards a roller mill. But do the different crush sizes maximize efficiency for different grains? I've heard not a good enough crush brings your efficiency down. And naturally you don't want to crush into flour or to fine so you end up with a stuck sparge.
I better have another beer, I got all these things going on up in my brain compartment.
I better have another beer, I got all these things going on up in my brain compartment.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests