Temperature Controller

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Temperature Controller

Post by Wildcard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Hey all, looking for advice. I finally have all the gear, kegs, freezer, etc for my keezer build but I'm missing one item, a temp controller. Any suggestions? Also what's everyone running their machines at? I was planning 8° or so.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 pm

The aquarium controllers seem to work great.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Araxi
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm
Name: Bruce
Location: Riverview

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Araxi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

I agree with X, I have 2 and one on the way. Have been using them for years without a problem Just search STC-1000 on Ebay.

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Tony L » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Araxi wrote:I agree with X, I have 2 and one on the way. Have been using them for years without a problem Just search STC-1000 on Ebay.

I have one of those and it's great. I also have a Johnson ( but that's between friends ) ;)

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm

I have a Johnson digital as well.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Wildcard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Any pros or cons to the Johnson? I'm just using it to cycle my freezer and chill the beer. Maybe lager it... but nothing for fermentation or warm temps.

I'm not overly concerned on cost as I came in way under budget with all the other gear. Granted I'm not looking to blow the rest on a controller haha

User avatar
ethier.sc
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am
Name: Steve Ethier
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by ethier.sc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

I got the Johnson because I'm not a very patient person and couldn't wait for it to be shipped. Sometime in the distant future I'd like to make a lagering chamber and I think I'll go with the STC-1000.

I had mine set to 3 Celsius with the probe in water on top of my compressor hump. I learned that the temp might be a little low when a porter blew in the bottom of my keezer.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Johnson is a better quality unit, but more expensive as well....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Wildcard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 pm

mr x wrote:Johnson is a better quality unit, but more expensive as well....
Where did you get yours from?

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm

ebay
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
Name: Geoff
Location: Clayton Park, NS

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by adams81 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:12 pm

If you go the STC-1000 route make sure you get the 110v model.

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Wildcard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:15 pm

adams81 wrote:If you go the STC-1000 route make sure you get the 110v model.
Yeah I noticed they have types that work for those in the UK and such and higher voltage allowances. I just have to make up mind now.

Thanks mr.x

User avatar
ethier.sc
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am
Name: Steve Ethier
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by ethier.sc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 pm

mr x wrote:ebay
Did you save much finding one on ebay? I think I payed 90 +tax for mine at Noble Grape.

User avatar
Araxi
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm
Name: Bruce
Location: Riverview

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Araxi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:41 pm

You should be able to find them on ebay for no more than 20 bux, shipping included.

User avatar
Wildcard
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
Name: Robb
Location: Moncton

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by Wildcard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Araxi wrote:You should be able to find them on ebay for no more than 20 bux, shipping included.
20 with shipping or you mean 20 then shipping? Cause it's 25 or so for most shipping.

I'm tempted to make one, I have a background with electronics. I looked around and the cheapest I can get is 64 locally at a HBS. I fins Noble Grape, on a lot of items, over priced. Sadly only local place to get a blichmann beer gun.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 pm

ethier.sc wrote:
mr x wrote:ebay
Did you save much finding one on ebay? I think I payed 90 +tax for mine at Noble Grape.
Yeah a bit, I think around 80 total, and that's the digital unit.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Temperature Controller

Post by canuck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Wildcard wrote:
Araxi wrote:You should be able to find them on ebay for no more than 20 bux, shipping included.
20 with shipping or you mean 20 then shipping? Cause it's 25 or so for most shipping.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110v-AC-All-purp ... a77&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests