Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

A spot to talk general homebrew
jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh yeah. Star San is the BOMB. If you aren't already, get on that train right now.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by amartin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm a little late on this one, but here are mine.

1 - Not using a secondary fermenter. I learned to brew mostly from a Dave Miller book from the late 80's, so the idea of not using a secondary fermenter was heresy, so I was hesitant to give it up. I only use them now for when I want to age something for a while, or when I'm making more beer soon and need my buckets back before bottling day.
2 - Not using a protein rest. Again, see above. I only use protein rests for wheat and rye beers now.
3 - Using sugar in beer. I like my beers fairly attenuative, and sugar is cheap and easy to work with. It's definitely not for every style, but I use it in the majority of my beers.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

Ah Ha moments from a great amateur comedian…He keeps a straight face the whole way through.

-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
Name: Nick Baxter

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by Maritimer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:15 am

Most of my Ah ha's have been covered, except this one...
1. Putting a racking cane on each end of my siphon tube. Minimizes aeration and the tube is clamped to both containers, meaning I can do other stuff while racking.
Beer.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:14 am

Christifaun, I read two more great posts from you this am, but I just noticed they got lost, along with quite a few other posts + an entire thread, when the server malfunctioned this morning. Apparently the hard drive became damaged and the site was restored from a backup.

It's Groundhog Day! what were your Ah Ha moments? :)
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:45 am

Really late to the game, but here are mine :

1. Ditch the secondary fermenter and leave it in the primary to finish up.

2. Refractometer - great for quickly checking gravities during the boil on brew day. No waiting around for wort to cool for a hydrometer reading.

3. Fermentation temperature control - a key to great beer. I still use a swamp cooler in the shoulder seasons to keep everything cool, but later in the fall, winter and early spring there's a room in my basement that stays at half decent ferment temperatures.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

darndt
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 pm
Name: Dan Arndt

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by darndt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:12 pm

I've heard a lot about ditching the secondary fermentor. Do people like this because it is simpler, or because it generally produces better beer? I'll definitely be trying it for my next batch. Is it enough to just leave it in a bucket without an airlock? Is it the same to leave it in a glass carboy with an airlock?

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by bluenose » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 pm

darndt wrote:I've heard a lot about ditching the secondary fermentor. Do people like this because it is simpler, or because it generally produces better beer? I'll definitely be trying it for my next batch. Is it enough to just leave it in a bucket without an airlock? Is it the same to leave it in a glass carboy with an airlock?
both, IMO... there's also less chance of introducing infection caused by transferring... fire and forget brother, or in this case ferment and forget :spilly: The last beer I did stayed in the primary for about 6 weeks because I got too busy to do anything about it, and then chilled in the keg for another 4 weeks... best beer I ever made and it's clear as a whistle :chug:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by mr x » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:08 am

This

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Two Wheeler
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 am
Name: Jordan Harris
Location: Fredericton

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by Two Wheeler » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:35 pm

Going to revive an old thread here, but here's a couple things I've recently done that really improved my brewing life... not really related to the final product but more so making the process easier.

1. I got a short hose for my kitchen. Being an apartment brewer, this makes everything easier as I can wash stuff in my kitchen now, fill buckets, spray out kegs, carboys, biab bags etc. Before I was cleaning stuff in my tub. Anyway, I bought a garden faucet adapter, a 6 foot braided washing machine hose, and a nozzle. The washing machine hose holds up to hot water, but has two female ends so you need another male-female adapter. I don't use the hose for brewing water though, just for cleaning.

2. Using a Q-tip to apply keg lube to the O-rings! Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but I was using my fingers and had sticky hands for an hour.

Image

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by Keith » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Two Wheeler wrote: 2. Using a Q-tip to apply keg lube to the O-rings! Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but I was using my fingers and had sticky hands for an hour.
I'm in that boat right now. Just finished cleaning and sterilizing 7 kegs.

So far my big ah moments.
1) Fermcap is fantastic, prevents those nasty boil over messes. (Thanks Leafman for showing me this)

2) It's ok to experiment and try new things. Worst case scenario you feed your buddys the bad beer first.

3) Bottles are for the birds, kegging is the way to go.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by Keggermeister » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Building my keg washer.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Keggermeister wrote:Building my keg washer.
Patent it ...you'll make a fortune!
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by AllanMar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 pm

As mentioned already.

StarSan using a bug sprayer, super easy to spray down kegs/carboys/etc.
Keg/Bucket washer - Easy to build but I bought mine out of laziness (Marks Keg Washer).
No secondary.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:26 pm

My biggest ah-ha lately is dry hopping. I know I'm a bit behind the times. Oh and the water thing. I was worried when I started adding the salts, especially since I made 30g of different beers that way. But it's all turned out better than before.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by mikeorr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:34 am

Ooo, now I'm aware of this keg washer contraption! That looks pretty handy to have...

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by saosborne » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:58 am

1. using the shop vac to suck the fruit flies out of the air in the brewery
2. take that damn bazzoka tube out of the kettle its useless
3. oxyclean. its way cheaper than pbw

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:22 pm

I wish someone had told me about bad hops. Apparently most people have been burnt by bad hops at some time, but it happened to me this summer. I bought the hops online and used them right away so it was the last thing I thought about. I even remember walking past them in the dish that they were in, ready to throw in the pot, and thinking that smells like rotting feet (cheese), but it was a new variety of hop that I wasn't familiar with and I thought maybe they are supposed to smell like that. My beer was horrible. It took me a few months and hours and hours of brewing to sort out what the problem was, and I totally lost confidence in my brewing. It was miserable. Then I started getting competition results back and the comments started rolling in that I was using gone off hops.

My latest Ah-Ha is to only use Hop Union N2 pillow packed hops, packed in the hop union factory and not re-packaged by any online dealer ...ever again! To hell with saving a few bucks.

At the very least smell your hops before you throw them, and if there is a hint of cheese, DON'T use them.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:53 pm

GuingesRock wrote:My latest Ah-Ha is to only use Hop Union N2 pillow packed hops, packed in the hop union factory and not re-packaged by any online dealer ...ever again! To hell with saving a few bucks.
Where do you get your Hop Union hops from, Mark?

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:56 pm

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/StoreFront" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:18 pm

ps. Jeff. Look who's number 3 in the brewer of the year ...Geof Trail, one of the sales people from Toronto Brewing. Maybe it's because he is one of the few getting good hops ...maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:57 pm

It's quite possible. Thanks for the heads up re: hops.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests