Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
-
jason.loxton
- Verified User

- Posts: 972
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
- Name: Jason Loxton
- Location: sydney ns
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Oh yeah. Star San is the BOMB. If you aren't already, get on that train right now.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
I'm a little late on this one, but here are mine.
1 - Not using a secondary fermenter. I learned to brew mostly from a Dave Miller book from the late 80's, so the idea of not using a secondary fermenter was heresy, so I was hesitant to give it up. I only use them now for when I want to age something for a while, or when I'm making more beer soon and need my buckets back before bottling day.
2 - Not using a protein rest. Again, see above. I only use protein rests for wheat and rye beers now.
3 - Using sugar in beer. I like my beers fairly attenuative, and sugar is cheap and easy to work with. It's definitely not for every style, but I use it in the majority of my beers.
1 - Not using a secondary fermenter. I learned to brew mostly from a Dave Miller book from the late 80's, so the idea of not using a secondary fermenter was heresy, so I was hesitant to give it up. I only use them now for when I want to age something for a while, or when I'm making more beer soon and need my buckets back before bottling day.
2 - Not using a protein rest. Again, see above. I only use protein rests for wheat and rye beers now.
3 - Using sugar in beer. I like my beers fairly attenuative, and sugar is cheap and easy to work with. It's definitely not for every style, but I use it in the majority of my beers.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Ah Ha moments from a great amateur comedian…He keeps a straight face the whole way through.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Maritimer
- Verified User

- Posts: 502
- Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
- Name: Nick Baxter
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Most of my Ah ha's have been covered, except this one...
1. Putting a racking cane on each end of my siphon tube. Minimizes aeration and the tube is clamped to both containers, meaning I can do other stuff while racking.
1. Putting a racking cane on each end of my siphon tube. Minimizes aeration and the tube is clamped to both containers, meaning I can do other stuff while racking.
Beer.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Christifaun, I read two more great posts from you this am, but I just noticed they got lost, along with quite a few other posts + an entire thread, when the server malfunctioned this morning. Apparently the hard drive became damaged and the site was restored from a backup.
It's Groundhog Day! what were your Ah Ha moments?
It's Groundhog Day! what were your Ah Ha moments?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Really late to the game, but here are mine :
1. Ditch the secondary fermenter and leave it in the primary to finish up.
2. Refractometer - great for quickly checking gravities during the boil on brew day. No waiting around for wort to cool for a hydrometer reading.
3. Fermentation temperature control - a key to great beer. I still use a swamp cooler in the shoulder seasons to keep everything cool, but later in the fall, winter and early spring there's a room in my basement that stays at half decent ferment temperatures.
1. Ditch the secondary fermenter and leave it in the primary to finish up.
2. Refractometer - great for quickly checking gravities during the boil on brew day. No waiting around for wort to cool for a hydrometer reading.
3. Fermentation temperature control - a key to great beer. I still use a swamp cooler in the shoulder seasons to keep everything cool, but later in the fall, winter and early spring there's a room in my basement that stays at half decent ferment temperatures.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
darndt
- Registered User

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 pm
- Name: Dan Arndt
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
I've heard a lot about ditching the secondary fermentor. Do people like this because it is simpler, or because it generally produces better beer? I'll definitely be trying it for my next batch. Is it enough to just leave it in a bucket without an airlock? Is it the same to leave it in a glass carboy with an airlock?
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
both, IMO... there's also less chance of introducing infection caused by transferring... fire and forget brother, or in this case ferment and forgetdarndt wrote:I've heard a lot about ditching the secondary fermentor. Do people like this because it is simpler, or because it generally produces better beer? I'll definitely be trying it for my next batch. Is it enough to just leave it in a bucket without an airlock? Is it the same to leave it in a glass carboy with an airlock?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
This
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Two Wheeler
- Verified User

- Posts: 46
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 am
- Name: Jordan Harris
- Location: Fredericton
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Going to revive an old thread here, but here's a couple things I've recently done that really improved my brewing life... not really related to the final product but more so making the process easier.
1. I got a short hose for my kitchen. Being an apartment brewer, this makes everything easier as I can wash stuff in my kitchen now, fill buckets, spray out kegs, carboys, biab bags etc. Before I was cleaning stuff in my tub. Anyway, I bought a garden faucet adapter, a 6 foot braided washing machine hose, and a nozzle. The washing machine hose holds up to hot water, but has two female ends so you need another male-female adapter. I don't use the hose for brewing water though, just for cleaning.
2. Using a Q-tip to apply keg lube to the O-rings! Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but I was using my fingers and had sticky hands for an hour.

1. I got a short hose for my kitchen. Being an apartment brewer, this makes everything easier as I can wash stuff in my kitchen now, fill buckets, spray out kegs, carboys, biab bags etc. Before I was cleaning stuff in my tub. Anyway, I bought a garden faucet adapter, a 6 foot braided washing machine hose, and a nozzle. The washing machine hose holds up to hot water, but has two female ends so you need another male-female adapter. I don't use the hose for brewing water though, just for cleaning.
2. Using a Q-tip to apply keg lube to the O-rings! Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but I was using my fingers and had sticky hands for an hour.

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
I'm in that boat right now. Just finished cleaning and sterilizing 7 kegs.Two Wheeler wrote: 2. Using a Q-tip to apply keg lube to the O-rings! Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but I was using my fingers and had sticky hands for an hour.
So far my big ah moments.
1) Fermcap is fantastic, prevents those nasty boil over messes. (Thanks Leafman for showing me this)
2) It's ok to experiment and try new things. Worst case scenario you feed your buddys the bad beer first.
3) Bottles are for the birds, kegging is the way to go.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keggermeister
- Verified User

- Posts: 1143
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Building my keg washer.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Patent it ...you'll make a fortune!Keggermeister wrote:Building my keg washer.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
As mentioned already.
StarSan using a bug sprayer, super easy to spray down kegs/carboys/etc.
Keg/Bucket washer - Easy to build but I bought mine out of laziness (Marks Keg Washer).
No secondary.
StarSan using a bug sprayer, super easy to spray down kegs/carboys/etc.
Keg/Bucket washer - Easy to build but I bought mine out of laziness (Marks Keg Washer).
No secondary.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
My biggest ah-ha lately is dry hopping. I know I'm a bit behind the times. Oh and the water thing. I was worried when I started adding the salts, especially since I made 30g of different beers that way. But it's all turned out better than before.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Ooo, now I'm aware of this keg washer contraption! That looks pretty handy to have...
-
saosborne
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: sean osborne
- Location: Fall River
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
1. using the shop vac to suck the fruit flies out of the air in the brewery
2. take that damn bazzoka tube out of the kettle its useless
3. oxyclean. its way cheaper than pbw
2. take that damn bazzoka tube out of the kettle its useless
3. oxyclean. its way cheaper than pbw
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
I wish someone had told me about bad hops. Apparently most people have been burnt by bad hops at some time, but it happened to me this summer. I bought the hops online and used them right away so it was the last thing I thought about. I even remember walking past them in the dish that they were in, ready to throw in the pot, and thinking that smells like rotting feet (cheese), but it was a new variety of hop that I wasn't familiar with and I thought maybe they are supposed to smell like that. My beer was horrible. It took me a few months and hours and hours of brewing to sort out what the problem was, and I totally lost confidence in my brewing. It was miserable. Then I started getting competition results back and the comments started rolling in that I was using gone off hops.
My latest Ah-Ha is to only use Hop Union N2 pillow packed hops, packed in the hop union factory and not re-packaged by any online dealer ...ever again! To hell with saving a few bucks.
At the very least smell your hops before you throw them, and if there is a hint of cheese, DON'T use them.
My latest Ah-Ha is to only use Hop Union N2 pillow packed hops, packed in the hop union factory and not re-packaged by any online dealer ...ever again! To hell with saving a few bucks.
At the very least smell your hops before you throw them, and if there is a hint of cheese, DON'T use them.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
Where do you get your Hop Union hops from, Mark?GuingesRock wrote:My latest Ah-Ha is to only use Hop Union N2 pillow packed hops, packed in the hop union factory and not re-packaged by any online dealer ...ever again! To hell with saving a few bucks.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/StoreFront" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
ps. Jeff. Look who's number 3 in the brewer of the year ...Geof Trail, one of the sales people from Toronto Brewing. Maybe it's because he is one of the few getting good hops ...maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Top Three "ah-ha!" Moments
It's quite possible. Thanks for the heads up re: hops.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests