Overcarbed
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Overcarbed
Hey all,
I bottled up 10 gallons of weizen on Tuesday, thinking it was 12, and so now they have 20% more priming sugar than I planned (.9 cups white sugar/5 gallons instead of .75). Because it's weizen, the extra carbonation might work in my favour, but I'm a little concerned about the bottle pressure. I opened a grolsch bottle of one last night to test it out, and it was a a good carbonation level, but it had only been 3 days at that point. I've since moved them into the crawl space where it's cooler, but am I going to have a problem? They're different size bottles, a lot of regular 341s, some half litres, some bombers and a few grolsh bottles.
I bottled up 10 gallons of weizen on Tuesday, thinking it was 12, and so now they have 20% more priming sugar than I planned (.9 cups white sugar/5 gallons instead of .75). Because it's weizen, the extra carbonation might work in my favour, but I'm a little concerned about the bottle pressure. I opened a grolsch bottle of one last night to test it out, and it was a a good carbonation level, but it had only been 3 days at that point. I've since moved them into the crawl space where it's cooler, but am I going to have a problem? They're different size bottles, a lot of regular 341s, some half litres, some bombers and a few grolsh bottles.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Overcarbed
Grolsh bottles for sure will hold an incredible pressure, but if you run into problems, keep them cold as possible, and very very cold before you pop them. And use a big glass.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Overcarbed
Do you think my other bottles will explode?
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Overcarbed
Anybody's guess there....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Overcarbed
It'll be an experiment then. I'll open one tonight.
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Overcarbed
You could always try to pasteurise the bottles to kill of the yeast if you are happy with the carb level as it is. Might be a lot of work for 10 gal though
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Overcarbed
Open them and reseal them to let some carb off. Not ideal but better than a glass bomb.
Sandy
Sandy
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Overcarbed
Maybe I'll do that. I'll see how they are today.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Overcarbed
Do you have room in a fridge for them to shut them down?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Overcarbed
It's below normal right now, I'll check it everyday until next week sometime.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Overcarbed
But no, no fridge. My crawl space (at the moment) is in the fifties though, so it should shut down there.
- Ladd
- Verified User

- Posts: 245
- Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm
- Name: Matt
- Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Re: Overcarbed
I doubt you'll have any bottle bombs unless it wasn't at terminal gravity before you bottled it. I often use a cup of white sugar for five gallon batches of my light beers and I have never had a bottle explode.
"If you want to make wine all you have to do is tread a few grapes. Try treading some barley and all you'll get is sore feet" - Dr. Charles Bamforth
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Overcarbed
Ok, maybe it'll be ok then. It was fermented for two and a half weeks and at 1.011, so it's probably done.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests