Fermenters

A spot to talk general homebrew
Pete
Name: Peter

Fermenters

Post by Pete » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:03 am

What does everyone use as their fermenter? I used to do primary in the bucket and secondary in a glass carboy but am now skipping secondary and letting the whole fermentation process happen in the bucket. I’m looking to upgrade from the bucket and have my eye on the Fermentasausrus with the pressure kit. Any advice?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Fermenters

Post by GAM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 am

Cheap and easy to use a full sized keg and ferment up to 40 l.

Sandy

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 am

I have bucket fermenters and the fast ferment conical and I regret buying the conical, buckets are super cheap and I haven't had any issues yet.

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 am

I use these...11 gal batches. Can do pressure transfers with them...I love them. Hard to find though.

Image-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:24 am

Personally I use the Better Bottle (PET plastic) carboys, I prefer them to glass ever since I shattered one last year! Another bonus is these carboys can fit in my fermentation chamber whereas a conical would not, get whatever works best for your setup!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:39 am

I just use those $20 clear plastic buckets from Everwood. They're self vending, easy to clean, cheap to replace, you can easily top crop yeast if needed, and I built my fermentation chamber to fit them so I'm stuck with them regardless.

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

I started with buckets and moved to a FastFerment conical. I like the way the conical condenses the trub and it's easy to discard, but I have to use a bucket underneath cause it always seems to leak a tiny bit of wort from the union valve no matter how much teflon tape I'm using. I read of someone who replaced the plastic union with a stainless one, but I've no idea how. For lagers, I ferment in a corny keg which fits in my smaller fridge and then pressure transfer to a serving keg. I'd love a Spike conical, but that's in the future, maybe once I get my mortgage paid off.
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User

Post by mdentremont » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 am

I had an issue with mine where it started leaking then progressed to the valve being stuck - I brought it in to where I purchased it, they swapped the part for free and now it works great, absolutely no leaks . Maybe try contacting wherever you bought it to see what they can do, if it leaks I'd be worried bacteria could get in.

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:30 am

Buckets for regular fermentations. Glass carboys for letting them go longer than 3 weeks.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 am

I do everything in glass carboys, because I've picked up a bunch on the cheap from kijiji. Planning on grabbing a bucket from Everwood though
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

MacMan
Name: Andy

Post by MacMan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:42 am

I use clear buckets but I like the idea of using corny kegs mentioned above, I may have to try that. I do have a conical but haven’t had the space to set it up permanently yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged 1: Best Case West Coast IPA
Kegged 2: Bestcase Honey Wheat IPA
Kegged 3: Bestcase Irish Red IPA
Fermenting: TBD

Pete
Name: Peter

Post by Pete » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 am

I got the fastferment for Xmas. Should I keep it or exchange it for the fermentasaurus? Kinda interested in fermenting under pressure with the fermentasaurus but will keep the fastferment if it’s just as good or better quality/results.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:40 am

Plastic carboys and a 14 gallon ss conical. Carboys for different recipes and the conical for the same recipe.

HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Drew Turton

Post by HotBreak » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:07 pm

I use a couple of 15 gallon Plastic barrels. Easy to clean because you can fill them with cleaner and roll them around with your foot
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

Andrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:55 pm

I got a fastferment I hate, can't hold a seal even with the new and improved one. My trub is always stuck. Had it about a year now and I think the plastic itself is now infected. Likely a small scrape. I also have a new anvil 7.5 bucket, love that so far.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Andrew wrote:I got a fastferment I hate, can't hold a seal even with the new and improved one. My trub is always stuck. Had it about a year now and I think the plastic itself is now infected. Likely a small scrape. I also have a new anvil 7.5 bucket, love that so far.
Yup.. Fast ferment was a pain in the ass.

I like my fermonster plastic fermenter. Wide mouth easy to clean and lots of head space.

Sent from the brewery

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Andrew wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:55 pm
I got a fastferment I hate, can't hold a seal even with the new and improved one. My trub is always stuck. Had it about a year now and I think the plastic itself is now infected. Likely a small scrape. I also have a new anvil 7.5 bucket, love that so far.
Agree 100%. I got one as a gift for xmas few years back. Could get past the water test. Kijiji it went...never saw a drop of beer.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User

Post by mdentremont » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Mine works, although I did need to have the valve replaced (was free) - but it's a massive PITA. I can't bring myself to spend more than 16 for bucket and airlocks, so convenient and I haven't had any issues.

cmaxwell
Name: Clayton Maxwell

Post by cmaxwell » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm

I have a 7gal SS Brewtech Brewbucket with their FTSS.

The FTSS means I need to keep a cooler with cold water for the first few days of an ale fermentation - which is kind of annoying as you have to change ice bottles a few times a day. Lagers can be done but it is even worse because you need to keep the cooler iced up for a week or so before ramping up the temps.

Have been thinking of getting a minifridge or something to house the cold water reservoir but at that point I guess it is just easier to have a ferm chamber.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf7-yk1BGXe ... _copy_link

Andrew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 pm

cmaxwell wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm
I have a 7gal SS Brewtech Brewbucket with their FTSS.

The FTSS means I need to keep a cooler with cold water for the first few days of an ale fermentation - which is kind of annoying as you have to change ice bottles a few times a day. Lagers can be done but it is even worse because you need to keep the cooler iced up for a week or so before ramping up the temps.

Have been thinking of getting a minifridge or something to house the cold water reservoir but at that point I guess it is just easier to have a ferm chamber.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf7-yk1BGXe ... _copy_link
Ive been looking at the kinda same system for the new Anvil buckets. I figured my electric cooler filled with ice would do ok.

cmaxwell
Name: Clayton Maxwell

Post by cmaxwell » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Andrew wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 pm
Ive been looking at the kinda same system for the new Anvil buckets. I figured my electric cooler filled with ice would do ok.
It kind of has its limits. It is really good for brewing ales in the summer when temps can get higher. Lagers take a bit of work though and you will never be able to cold crash with it which kind of sucks.

Andrew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:35 pm

cmaxwell wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:43 pm

It kind of has its limits. It is really good for brewing ales in the summer when temps can get higher. Lagers take a bit of work though and you will never be able to cold crash with it which kind of sucks.
Yea iuno if ill ever care to make lagers. Probably should just redneck up a chest freezer.

BiersalBrewery
Name: Chris

Post by BiersalBrewery » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Peterpasha wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am
I started with buckets and moved to a FastFerment conical. I like the way the conical condenses the trub and it's easy to discard, but I have to use a bucket underneath cause it always seems to leak a tiny bit of wort from the union valve no matter how much teflon tape I'm using. I read of someone who replaced the plastic union with a stainless one, but I've no idea how. For lagers, I ferment in a corny keg which fits in my smaller fridge and then pressure transfer to a serving keg. I'd love a Spike conical, but that's in the future, maybe once I get my mortgage paid off.
I use the fast ferment 3 Gallon conical (i have 3 of them) and i have yet to have a leaker Union valve, personally i really enjoy the fast ferment conicals they are great for a beginner like me and helps out with a lot of potential problems
Last Beer Made And Drinking: Hoptimus Prime. American IPA, Raspberry Beret Raspberry Wheat Ale, Pink Panther Shandy
Bottled And Carbonating:
Fermenting: Boxing Rock Black Box Challange versions 1&2
Future Brews:
White Of The Living Dead. Belgian Witbier.
White Juan White IPA.
Meesh Blonde Ale
Prime Art. American IPA
SMaSH The Lemons. Lemondrop SMaSH Saison

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”