A spot to talk general homebrew
PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Outdoor Water Tap

Post by PMackie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 am

Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked before, but I figured I would make a quick thread to get an answer. I just bought and moved into our new home. I have a large garage that I am obviously going to be brewing in. I will eventually get it plumbed properly for a soaker sink and all of that but at the moment I do not have a water source in it. Do any of you have any issues with running a hose from the outside tap in this time of year? I have a hose that is drinking safe so I figured with the temps above zero this week it likely will not be an issue but I better check.

Thank You,
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Re: Outdoor Water Tap

Post by elreplica » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 am

As long as the water is left on a bit you likely won’t have any problems...but if not and the temperature drops,say overnight your hose will freeze...not a large deal as I simply throw mine in the hottub lol or bathtub to thaw it...it helps if you’ve got a frost free outside tap...easy just to connect the hose outside as you need it - and bring it back inside when not using it.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Re: Outdoor Water Tap

Post by PMackie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am

elreplica wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 am
As long as the water is left on a bit you likely won’t have any problems...but if not and the temperature drops,say overnight your hose will freeze...not a large deal as I simply throw mine in the hottub lol or bathtub to thaw it...it helps if you’ve got a frost free outside tap...easy just to connect the hose outside as you need it - and bring it back inside when not using it.
Yeah I plan on disconnecting it when done brewing, so that shouldn't be an issue haha
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”