Ransack IPA Clone

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
Post Reply
DocksideBrewing
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am
Name: Stew

Ransack IPA Clone

Post by DocksideBrewing » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm

I am trying to make a beer that emulates Ransack The Universe IPA by Collective Arts Brewing. I only have some basic information to get me started with that being:
ABV: 6.8
IBU: 85
Hops: Galaxy and Mosaic
Light malt body - which I would assume would be a light to medium temp mash

For malts I'm thinking: 2 row, Honey, and a light caramel/crystal ??

Yeast - ??

Anyone have any suggestions?

User avatar
know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 652
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
Location: Sackvegas

Re: Ransack IPA Clone

Post by know1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:08 am

2-row, wheat and oats, toss the honey and crystal, maybe a couple % light crystal if you are shooting for a more orange color. Consider marris otter or a portion of munich if you want a little more malt character

Probably vermont or similar yeast although its listed as an american IPA its similar to NE style. London III is another good one.

go easy on boiling hops, shoot for around 25ibus max from bittering and get the rest from flameout/whirpool hops, and plenty of them along with a hefty dose of dry hops. Some go for the hops during active fermentation biotransformation mumbo jumbo on the NEIPA style, I.m not yet convinced. I like a good few oz at fermentation slow down then another dose about 4 days before packaging for the aromatic punch in the face.

DocksideBrewing
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am
Name: Stew

Re: Ransack IPA Clone

Post by DocksideBrewing » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:11 am

know1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:08 am
2-row, wheat and oats, toss the honey and crystal, maybe a couple % light crystal if you are shooting for a more orange color. Consider marris otter or a portion of munich if you want a little more malt character

Probably vermont or similar yeast although its listed as an american IPA its similar to NE style. London III is another good one.

go easy on boiling hops, shoot for around 25ibus max from bittering and get the rest from flameout/whirpool hops, and plenty of them along with a hefty dose of dry hops. Some go for the hops during active fermentation biotransformation mumbo jumbo on the NEIPA style, I.m not yet convinced. I like a good few oz at fermentation slow down then another dose about 4 days before packaging for the aromatic punch in the face.
Thanks, I'll give that a try! I have a couple other batches to make first but I like the sounds of this. Appreciate the advice!

PMackie
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Name: Paul MacKinnon
Location: Sackvegas

Re: Ransack IPA Clone

Post by PMackie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

DocksideBrewing wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:11 am
know1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:08 am
2-row, wheat and oats, toss the honey and crystal, maybe a couple % light crystal if you are shooting for a more orange color. Consider marris otter or a portion of munich if you want a little more malt character

Probably vermont or similar yeast although its listed as an american IPA its similar to NE style. London III is another good one.

go easy on boiling hops, shoot for around 25ibus max from bittering and get the rest from flameout/whirpool hops, and plenty of them along with a hefty dose of dry hops. Some go for the hops during active fermentation biotransformation mumbo jumbo on the NEIPA style, I.m not yet convinced. I like a good few oz at fermentation slow down then another dose about 4 days before packaging for the aromatic punch in the face.
Thanks, I'll give that a try! I have a couple other batches to make first but I like the sounds of this. Appreciate the advice!
He knows his stuff! Go with what he said.
Kegged: Togarashi Heat Porter, All Ryell'ed Up
Fermenting: Pop's Sunday Sipper(Kolsch Style), Everwood Comp Beer
On deck: ...
In the hole:: Pale Ale, Watermelon Blonde, Jalapeno Lime Wit

DocksideBrewing
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 11:34 am
Name: Stew

Re: Ransack IPA Clone

Post by DocksideBrewing » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm

I've never used a White Labs yeast, and I'm seeing that it says "best before date is 4 months after bottling". What exactly does that mean? Is it saying that the beer will be best drank within a 4 month period? Not that that is ever really a problem, but I just wasn't sure.

ackes
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 pm
Name: Mike
Location: St. Margaret's Bay

Re: Ransack IPA Clone

Post by ackes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm

DocksideBrewing wrote:I've never used a White Labs yeast, and I'm seeing that it says "best before date is 4 months after bottling". What exactly does that mean? Is it saying that the beer will be best drank within a 4 month period? Not that that is ever really a problem, but I just wasn't sure.
I’ll defer to others, who definitely know more about this than I.
But .... pretty sure the yeast vial is referring to the health or viability of the yeast. The older the vial the ‘less healthy’ all those little yeast cells are. So you won’t get as good a fermentation depending on your OG (especially if it’s > 1.050).
You usually have to make a yeast starter to get numbers back up. OR pitch more than 1 vial (I’m too cheap for that).
This is a great site for estimating cell counts and giving you starter info:
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Hope that helps and hoping someone corrects me in case anything there is wrong or there’s a better way to explain.

Cheers,


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: Pale ale - Hippie Dippie clone, Unbeweisse-a-bier (Hefeweizen), Blonde Ale, Session IPA, B.R. Black box
Fermenting: Nothing
On deck: RIS to age
In the hole:: 100% Brett IPA / Probably getting close to sour season !!

Post Reply

Return to “Recipes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests