I'm planning to brew a Mexican Cake-like clone, largely inspired by recipes and suggestions in this thead: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... ery.556380
Maybe somewhat similar to this recipe posted there:
GW two row: 16lbs
Castle light chocolate (350L) 1.5lb
Briess Crystal 120L: 1lb
Corn sugar: 1lb @ flameout
Candi sugar (dark belgian) 1lb @ flameout
flaked oats: 0.75lb
1.30 oz Columbus @ 60 mins aiming for ~50 IBUs
Followed OPs advice and mashed around 150
Mashed with 6 gallons RO water + 4.5 grams calcium chloride which netted me about 3.5 gallons of wort.
Sparged with 3.5 gallons RO water + 2.6 grams calcium chloride for a total of 6.75 gallons pre-boil.
After 19 days I secondaried on 2 short cinnamon sticks, 3 chopped vanilla beans, 5 chopped habanero peppers and 4oz cocoa nibs. Let secondary for 8-9 days, checked flavor at day 5.
2 Row @ 78%
Roast Barley @ 6.75%
Chocolate Malt @ 6.75%
Dark Crystal @ 4%
Black Patent @ 1.35%
Flaked Oats @ 2.6%
CTZ @ .33 oz per gal
Dextrose @ 1.5 oz per gal
Candied Sugar @ 5 oz per gal
Vanilla bean @ .02 oz per gal
Nibs @ .3 oz per gal
Cinnamon @ .005 oz per gal
Habanero @ .02 oz per
16 lbs Briess 2-Row
1.5 lbs Chocolate 350L
1 lb Crystal 120L
0.75 lb Flaked Oats
18 oz Turbinado Sugar @ Flameout
16 oz Belgian Candi Syrup 90L @ Flameout
1.3 oz Columbus (17.8%AA) @ 60 min
So my questions are:
1. Has anyone brewed anything similar and have any tips/can I learn from your mistakes? Thinking a 5 gallon batch.
2. I'm leaning towards a tincture in a pint of bourbon, which I was thinking of putting on now so it would be ready to add in 2 or 3 weeks if I manage to brew it in the next few days. Is it worth it to buy top shelf bourbon for that?
3. Have you used methods other than tincture that you would reccomend?
4. I found vanilla beans and cocoa nibs at Bulk Barn, and will roast the cocoa nibs in the oven a little beforehand. I'm thinking 3 beans and maybe 2 peppers?
5. Would there be any advantage to dehydrating the peppers, or is just chopping em up and tossing them in sufficient do you think?
Any advice or comments appreciated.
Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
A spot to talk general homebrew
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests