Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
Hi Everyone,
So I have an idea an need help. I want to be able to can small quantities of wort to use for my yeast starters for future brews. However, when I say small quantities I would like to be able to can 2 litres. I have a couple of cases of 1 litre mason jars but I am unable to find a 2 litre version, or in fact, any 2 litre container that would be suitable for canning. Does anyone have any ideas?
I considered using the vacuum sealed bags but after some fine research they actually allow air through the bags over time and are not suitable for such applications. I've also searched the internet looking for 2 litre containers without much luck. So I thought I'd tap Brewnosers resources. Thanks
So I have an idea an need help. I want to be able to can small quantities of wort to use for my yeast starters for future brews. However, when I say small quantities I would like to be able to can 2 litres. I have a couple of cases of 1 litre mason jars but I am unable to find a 2 litre version, or in fact, any 2 litre container that would be suitable for canning. Does anyone have any ideas?
I considered using the vacuum sealed bags but after some fine research they actually allow air through the bags over time and are not suitable for such applications. I've also searched the internet looking for 2 litre containers without much luck. So I thought I'd tap Brewnosers resources. Thanks
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
I've seen 1.9L mason jars in packs of 6 at either Canadian Tire or the Superstore. Also, Michael's has them in singles ($5 or so).
I canned a mix of 1.5L, 1L, and 500ml. I'll be picking up some more 1.5L and some 1.9L for next time.
I canned a mix of 1.5L, 1L, and 500ml. I'll be picking up some more 1.5L and some 1.9L for next time.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
Yeah, I got some at CT IIRC. They are harder to find, as they are not recommended for canning food.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- know1
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 866
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
- Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
- Location: Sackvegas
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
if you are keeping it chilled and not planning on hot processing you might get away with 1.5L wine bottles. You could cork them and lay them on their side if need be.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
Part of my motivation for canning is the lack cold storage, I do have an extra fridge, but I'm seeing a fermentation chamber in my future! So I'm not sure if the wine bottles will work out, unles I can find a proper cap for them.
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
Ah, well then there goes my idea of using 2 liter PET bottles and freezing the wort.Fishdisease wrote:Part of my motivation for canning is the lack cold storage, I do have an extra fridge, but I'm seeing a fermentation chamber in my future! So I'm not sure if the wine bottles will work out, unles I can find a proper cap for them.
- know1
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 866
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
- Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
- Location: Sackvegas
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
corks?Fishdisease wrote:Part of my motivation for canning is the lack cold storage, I do have an extra fridge, but I'm seeing a fermentation chamber in my future! So I'm not sure if the wine bottles will work out, unles I can find a proper cap for them.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
The main benefit for canning is to be able to sterilize the food in the jar. Even if I keep things as sterile as I can, there's still a chance that I'll get an infection and have fermenting wort in the bottle. Corks aren't air-tight so I can't boil or pressure-cook the wine bottles. I just might end up with non-hopped beer! As least that's my concern.
- know1
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 866
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
- Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
- Location: Sackvegas
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
synthetic corks would probably do if you were cold storing. If you want to dry store under proper canning practices you will need to pressure can in order to raise the temp high enough in absence of acid to prevent against the unlikely but still present potential of botulism.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Canning Wort - Need 2L Container Ideas
Found some 1.9L mason jars at Canadian Tire today, right after I got into a fender bender.
aside: This ass cuts me off on Quinpool, then slams on the brakes and I rear-ended him. Total dick, no damage to his car, but my front end is toast. And who's fault is that? Mine of course. So my insurance goes up, and I get to pay to fix my car (I don't pay for collision as my car is 12 years old).
Anyway, I'll be making some wort this weekend for starters!
aside: This ass cuts me off on Quinpool, then slams on the brakes and I rear-ended him. Total dick, no damage to his car, but my front end is toast. And who's fault is that? Mine of course. So my insurance goes up, and I get to pay to fix my car (I don't pay for collision as my car is 12 years old).
Anyway, I'll be making some wort this weekend for starters!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests