Mashing inconsistencies

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Mon May 11, 2015 12:43 pm

I love doing all-grain, but man, it's giving me a headache lately. I've done 7 now - 4 have turned out fine, 1 started out fine, but I messed up the fermentation, and the remaining 2 have had starting gravities all over the place.

I did a 2.5 gal batch of a blonde ale about a month ago. The target OG for the fermenter was 1.050 and somehow I managed 1.055. Any time I've missed in the past, it was always a tad on the low side, so I'm certainly wondering what happened this particular time to get much better efficiency than I normally see.

Last week I brewed up 5 gal of an IPA. The target OG for the fermenter was 1.065, but I only managed 1.050. That's a pretty significant miss in my mind, and I don't think I did anything differently from what I've done before.

What sorts of things could cause these wild swings?

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by RubberToe » Mon May 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Typically with a higher gravity batch you'll get lower mash efficiency so that would support your lower efficency with the IPA. This is mostly to do with mash thickness, how large your tun is and if you can get the same thickness as you normally do, etc.

Another thing is that with your smaller 2.5 gallon batch and variance in your boil off / target volume will have a larger effect on your original gravity.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by RubberToe » Mon May 11, 2015 12:49 pm

In addition, some of this could be explained by your system and process. BIAB? Does the bag fill the pot? Dead space? Do you stirr your mash?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 pm

RubberToe wrote:Typically with a higher gravity batch you'll get lower mash efficiency so that would support your lower efficency with the IPA. This is mostly to do with mash thickness, how large your tun is and if you can get the same thickness as you normally do, etc.

Another thing is that with your smaller 2.5 gallon batch and variance in your boil off / target volume will have a larger effect on your original gravity.
Mash thickness? As it how thick or thin/runny/watery the grain/water mix is? In this particular case, it was a little thicker than usual.
RubberToe wrote:In addition, some of this could be explained by your system and process. BIAB? Does the bag fill the pot? Dead space? Do you stirr your mash?
I don't do BIAB. I do stir my mash 2 or 3 times over the course of the rest (60 mins).

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Celiacbrew » Mon May 11, 2015 4:46 pm

Buccaneer wrote:
RubberToe wrote:Typically with a higher gravity batch you'll get lower mash efficiency so that would support your lower efficency with the IPA. This is mostly to do with mash thickness, how large your tun is and if you can get the same thickness as you normally do, etc.

Another thing is that with your smaller 2.5 gallon batch and variance in your boil off / target volume will have a larger effect on your original gravity.
Mash thickness? As it how thick or thin/runny/watery the grain/water mix is? In this particular case, it was a little thicker than usual.
RubberToe wrote:In addition, some of this could be explained by your system and process. BIAB? Does the bag fill the pot? Dead space? Do you stirr your mash?
I don't do BIAB. I do stir my mash 2 or 3 times over the course of the rest (60 mins).

Not sure if this is exactly what you are asking for but I found this link to be really helpful in understanding how mash efficiency works. And how to make it stable.

http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.ph ... on_mashing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

basically the thicker your mash is, the more grain there is and the more sugar there is as well. So it takes more water to wash away the same percentage of sugars that would be washed away from a thinner mash. Said another way, your efficiency goes down because you didn't rinse the grain as well. There are some other differences but that is the main one.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
joe_r_harvie
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
Name: Joe Harvie
Location: Middle River, Cape Breton

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by joe_r_harvie » Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 pm

I had this issue when I first started all-grain and it turned out that I was checking gravity at too high of a temperature leading to low OG readings. Make sure you check your gravity at standard temp or apply a correction.
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Lucas » Mon May 11, 2015 11:39 pm

I have made the mistake of taking a sample from the top or bottom of unstirred runnings which led to gravity readings that were way off (I find that the later, lighter runnings mostly just sit on top with my system). Make sure to give the runnings a good stir, and apply a temperature correction as Joe suggested. Apart from this and the thickness of the mash as others have said I can't think of anything that would swing your efficiency so heavily.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Tue May 12, 2015 9:02 am

Excellent information, guys. I already do my measurements keeping temperature in mind - that burned me once before. :)

I always measure after I do the sparge - I give the kettle a stir and take the sample. It's entirely possible I didn't stir enough.

The mash was definitely thicker this time around. I know the rule of thumb is typically 2 quarts of water per pound of grain (or 4L per kg). I'm not religious about it, though - I usually add two 10L jugs of water for the mash (and the jugs are usually full to the top, so it's probably more like 11 or 12L). Keeping temperature up seems to be a problem for me, so I always end up adding a couple tea kettles full of water as I go. It was warmer this time around, so I didn't need to add much water after. And it seemed that there was less in there right from the start.

Normally I lauter about 3 to 3.5 gallons, then batch sparge to make up the rest. This time, however, I only got 2 gallons. Knowing now that a thinner mash is better, I shall be keeping a close eye on this in the future.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm

You mention that you check your gravity after the sparge - how was your measured pre-boil gravity compared to your target pre-boil gravity?

One thing that wasn't mentioned, is it possible that in addition to a lower efficiency due to the higher target OG, you had a measurement error when weighing in your grain? I've had that happen before, and ended up turning my APA into an IPA on the fly once it was discovered on my pre-boil readings.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Tue May 12, 2015 3:25 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:You mention that you check your gravity after the sparge - how was your measured pre-boil gravity compared to your target pre-boil gravity?

One thing that wasn't mentioned, is it possible that in addition to a lower efficiency due to the higher target OG, you had a measurement error when weighing in your grain? I've had that happen before, and ended up turning my APA into an IPA on the fly once it was discovered on my pre-boil readings.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the pre-boil gravity was supposed to be. From the recipe data that I have, though - Boil Size: 7.07 gal Boil Time: 60 min End of Boil Volume 5.72 gal. I was just slightly over the 7 gal pre-boil and was 5.25 end of boil.

As for the weight of the grain, I can only assume that Dave measured it out correctly for me. :)

Anyway, I have lots of stuff to pay attention to next time around and hopefully this was just an anomaly.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by jason.loxton » Tue May 12, 2015 6:58 pm

I used to have similar problems. The main issue was boil off and volume measurement error (both of which resulted from a poorly calibrated sight gauge). Given the differences in gravity between your two batch sizes, I'd suggest that boil off might be your primary issue. You should run a couple of a tests with just water in the pot to figure out what your per hour boil off volume is (note: not percent, but actual volume), if you haven't already. And double check that whatever you use to calculate volumes is correct. (I had my sight gauge markings wrong because I calibrated using one of the 5000 ml Erlenmeyers that we got through a group order. When I checked the volume indications on the 5000 ml by weight, however, after a series of frustratingly swinging mashes, it was substantially off. As a result, all of my volumes, from boil off the strike volume, etc., had been off as well, along with my efficiency calculations, since I used the flask to calibrate my sight gauge.)

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by jason.loxton » Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Ah. I just read the thread closer:

"Unfortunately, I don't know what the pre-boil gravity was supposed to be. From the recipe data that I have, though - Boil Size: 7.07 gal Boil Time: 60 min End of Boil Volume 5.72 gal. I was just slightly over the 7 gal pre-boil and was 5.25 end of boil."

And:

"Last week I brewed up 5 gal of an IPA. The target OG for the fermenter was 1.065, but I only managed 1.050."

Your boil off is higher than the factor in the recipe, so you do need to check it and adjust water volumes accordingly, but that actually makes your efficiency even worse. Assuming that you accurately measured gravity and final volume, you actually got an OG of 1.046 (adjusted to 5.72 gallons), rather than the 1.065 you were aiming for.

I'd still suspect that it is a measurement issue (gravity or volume), but if not, check the link above about efficiency.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Just one other thought - you are measuring in US gallons?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm measuring in US gallons.

I like the idea of testing my boil off rates. When I go back and look at what I've recorded in past brews, the boil off on my last batch was way higher than usual. As you said, though, a normal boil off would have made things worse.

I think I'm also going to pick up a second hydrometer.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by jeffsmith » Tue May 12, 2015 10:20 pm

A refractometer would probably be a better investment. Let's you easily take readings during the lautering/sparge process.

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by evanisnor » Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm

jeffsmith wrote:A refractometer would probably be a better investment. Let's you easily take readings during the lautering/sparge process.
Yeah! I bought mine from a reseller on Amazon. It really helps on brewday.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Keith » Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 pm

One of my best investments
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Fri May 15, 2015 8:14 am

It's been on my wishlist for a while. Guess I'm gonna pull the trigger. :)

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by Buccaneer » Fri May 15, 2015 8:28 am

Any suggestions as to which one I should get? I was thinking this one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000FBL2G0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or this http://www.amazon.ca/Happy-Hours-Beer-R ... B00WGA8NO2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Same price, with the first being on sale and doing only Brix only and the second doing Brix and SG.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by AllanMar » Fri May 15, 2015 9:58 am

Buccaneer wrote:Any suggestions as to which one I should get? I was thinking this one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000FBL2G0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or this http://www.amazon.ca/Happy-Hours-Beer-R ... B00WGA8NO2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Same price, with the first being on sale and doing only Brix only and the second doing Brix and SG.
The SG scale on these is not accurate (especially at higher gravities). So it really doesn't matter much. I recently switched over to a digital one, and find it alot easier to use.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by jeffsmith » Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

AllanMar wrote:I recently switched over to a digital one, and find it alot easier to use.
Source?

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by AllanMar » Fri May 15, 2015 11:45 am

jeffsmith wrote:
AllanMar wrote:I recently switched over to a digital one, and find it alot easier to use.
Source?
http://www.amazon.ca/Milwaukee-Instrume ... ords=ma871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goes on sale from time to time. Think I paid $109ish?

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Mashing inconsistencies

Post by jeffsmith » Fri May 15, 2015 11:47 am

AllanMar wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:
AllanMar wrote:I recently switched over to a digital one, and find it alot easier to use.
Source?
http://www.amazon.ca/Milwaukee-Instrume ... ords=ma871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goes on sale from time to time. Think I paid $109ish?

:cheers2: Thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest