Spill proofing your work area
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Spill proofing your work area
So at my current apartment I have the luxury of plastic faux wood floors in my brewery area - I can spill sanitizer, wine, beer, whatever to my hearts content and a bit of wiping with a Lysol wipe later and everything is back to good.
The new place however has carpet more or less everywhere. So what do you guys think I should do in terms of guarding from splashing, overfills, dripping, and the disasterous "bottling wand stuck open" issues?
The new place however has carpet more or less everywhere. So what do you guys think I should do in terms of guarding from splashing, overfills, dripping, and the disasterous "bottling wand stuck open" issues?
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Spill proofing your work area
Depends on what you're doing. If it's just sanitizing and cleaning, rubbermaid containers work great to catch all that stuff.
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: Spill proofing your work area
Yeah, bottling is definitely the big concern, followed by racking my beer/wine.
Edit: maybe some type of large drip pan under my work tables?
Edit: maybe some type of large drip pan under my work tables?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Spill proofing your work area
Is it your house or renting? You're going to have to tile that kitchen ASAP. Sloping floors leading to a drain would be ideal. Maybe large double doors for vehicle access, like a front end loader for the mash, bags of grain etc.
Hmmm ......A home brewers dream kitchen. I wonder what that would look like?
Hmmm ......A home brewers dream kitchen. I wonder what that would look like?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: Spill proofing your work area
renting. I'm probably going to have to just put a drop cloth over the half of the room as a backup protection (it's not the kitchen) and then just be more careful about setting everything (bottles or whatever) into plastic bins to catch any overflow/drips. Maybe an oil drip pan thing from princess auto under the mini fridge fermenters just in case anything springs a leak.
Ideally I'd have a tiled space for this with a floor drain so it can basically just be hosed down, lol.
Hell, there are 3.5 bathrooms in this place for 3 people... Maybe I should just set up my brewery in the master bath shower stall. That would win me points at home for sure.
Ideally I'd have a tiled space for this with a floor drain so it can basically just be hosed down, lol.
Hell, there are 3.5 bathrooms in this place for 3 people... Maybe I should just set up my brewery in the master bath shower stall. That would win me points at home for sure.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Spill proofing your work area
Plastic tarps are cheap. Canadian Tire maybe: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certi ... kU6ZP2FPDc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Spill proofing your work area
Give me 3-4 years. I'll have it. Basically will be a brewery pilot system, full craft beer bar (forget the other shit), lots of seating to watch the seasonal sport (aka Hockey) and a spot to play marbles, crib, or some other drinking game.GuingesRock wrote:Is it your house or renting? You're going to have to tile that kitchen ASAP. Sloping floors leading to a drain would be ideal. Maybe large double doors for vehicle access, like a front end loader for the mash, bags of grain etc.
Hmmm ......A home brewers dream kitchen. I wonder what that would look like?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Spill proofing your work area
I've got a few mats that I use to use. would hold 2 fermenters. I'll see if I can locate them again. I think I picked them up at canadian tire, but honestly forget.MitchK wrote:renting. I'm probably going to have to just put a drop cloth over the half of the room as a backup protection (it's not the kitchen) and then just be more careful about setting everything (bottles or whatever) into plastic bins to catch any overflow/drips. Maybe an oil drip pan thing from princess auto under the mini fridge fermenters just in case anything springs a leak.
Ideally I'd have a tiled space for this with a floor drain so it can basically just be hosed down, lol.
Hell, there are 3.5 bathrooms in this place for 3 people... Maybe I should just set up my brewery in the master bath shower stall. That would win me points at home for sure.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Spill proofing your work area
I use a large size bbq matt that I got from Costco. Princess auto also has a selection of protective mats.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: Spill proofing your work area
well, I think some type of tarp/mat combo along with some rubbermaid style bins to set bottles in while filling are probably enough to satisfy my carpet/red wine interaction paranoia.
I just wish I could find a better piece of gear than those shitty bottling wands that stick open and fire your booze everywhere...
I just wish I could find a better piece of gear than those shitty bottling wands that stick open and fire your booze everywhere...
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Spill proofing your work area
I picked up a spring loaded bottle wand at Maritime Beer and WineMitchK wrote:well, I think some type of tarp/mat combo along with some rubbermaid style bins to set bottles in while filling are probably enough to satisfy my carpet/red wine interaction paranoia.
I just wish I could find a better piece of gear than those shitty bottling wands that stick open and fire your booze everywhere...
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- HoweFox
- Verified User

- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Spill proofing your work area
If you have a dishwasher I find that is the best place to fill bottles. Sanitize with Starsan then let them drip upside down until ready for filling in dishwasher racks. Then fill bottles on door of dishwasher kind of like this: http://www.ancientartpodcast.org/brew/w ... G_3487.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spills collect on the door and then you just close it when done with no mess.
Spills collect on the door and then you just close it when done with no mess.
https://PrivateLadyEscorts.com - Local Chat Dating - No Verify - Anonymous Sex Dating - No Bots Dating Chat
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Spill proofing your work area
I'd like to build something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAu5o7QnFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAu5o7QnFs
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Spill proofing your work area
Wow, that's pretty nice... If I bottled more, I'd want it.bluenose wrote:I'd like to build something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAu5o7QnFs
-
Swine
- Verified User

- Posts: 306
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am
- Name: Ryan Swinamer
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Spill proofing your work area
MitchK wrote:well, I think some type of tarp/mat combo along with some rubbermaid style bins to set bottles in while filling are probably enough to satisfy my carpet/red wine interaction paranoia.
I just wish I could find a better piece of gear than those shitty bottling wands that stick open and fire your booze everywhere...
Everwood has a great bottling wand that is spring loaded, I picked up both sizes, use them for bottling wine, hardly ever a drip!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests