California Common tastes like Molasses
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
California Common tastes like Molasses
Brewed a California Common 5 gallon batch and it has an overwhelming (gross) flavour of molasses. You can't really get past it, might have to be dumped.
9% Munich
14% Caramel/Crystal Malt
77% Canadian 2-Row
25g Centennial 60min
20g Cascade 30min
20g Cascade 30 min
1 California Lager wyeast smack pack
I thought I had broken the smack pack (smacked it like ten times) but when I went to pitch I realized it hadn't properly broken the yeast nutrients. I looked on Wyeast's website and it looked like it would be OK to pitch anyways.
So I pitched maybe at around 22C and then brought down temperature down to 16C. Nothing happened for about 3-4 days so I brought the temperature back up to 20C and gave it a good shake and left it there. Once it started to ferment I brought the temp back down to 16C. Racked and conditioned at 10C for about three weeks.
Fermentation chamber is a deepfreeze with a ceramic reptile heat lamp if the temp drops too low. The temperature probe was taped to the carboy insulated with paper towel and tape and a cloth outside of that. The conditioning process, the temperature probe was taped on the side of one of the bottles with same insulation at 10C.
Tasted it tonight, to my displeasure it was some sort of combination of molasses and phenlos or alcohol. It's pretty bad. Any ideas? Tried to give as much info as I could
Thanks
9% Munich
14% Caramel/Crystal Malt
77% Canadian 2-Row
25g Centennial 60min
20g Cascade 30min
20g Cascade 30 min
1 California Lager wyeast smack pack
I thought I had broken the smack pack (smacked it like ten times) but when I went to pitch I realized it hadn't properly broken the yeast nutrients. I looked on Wyeast's website and it looked like it would be OK to pitch anyways.
So I pitched maybe at around 22C and then brought down temperature down to 16C. Nothing happened for about 3-4 days so I brought the temperature back up to 20C and gave it a good shake and left it there. Once it started to ferment I brought the temp back down to 16C. Racked and conditioned at 10C for about three weeks.
Fermentation chamber is a deepfreeze with a ceramic reptile heat lamp if the temp drops too low. The temperature probe was taped to the carboy insulated with paper towel and tape and a cloth outside of that. The conditioning process, the temperature probe was taped on the side of one of the bottles with same insulation at 10C.
Tasted it tonight, to my displeasure it was some sort of combination of molasses and phenlos or alcohol. It's pretty bad. Any ideas? Tried to give as much info as I could
Thanks
-
jason.loxton
- Verified User

- Posts: 972
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
- Name: Jason Loxton
- Location: sydney ns
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
What's your final gravity? Was the fermentation complete?
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
What was your og? Did you pitch a proper amount of yeast?
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- McGruff
- Registered User

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
- Name: Chris Storey
- Location: Cavan, Ontario
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
Seems like a lot of crystal malt. What was the colour of it?
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
What was the crystal color
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
0.75kg of 60
Developed recipe based on Ray Daniel's chapter on the beer style.
OG was under my target about 1.042 but fg was 1.010 so I think it fermented all the way. Unless I needed more yeast so it wouldn't have to work as hard/produce off flavours? I'm not sure
Developed recipe based on Ray Daniel's chapter on the beer style.
OG was under my target about 1.042 but fg was 1.010 so I think it fermented all the way. Unless I needed more yeast so it wouldn't have to work as hard/produce off flavours? I'm not sure
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
You should share a bottle at the next brewnosers meeting...lots of help at the meetings
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: California Common tastes like Molasses
Good call, part of me is hoping it will taste better after a week lol
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests