Wanna get looped!

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
BorisVorlauf
Name: Shawny MacD

Wanna get looped!

Post by BorisVorlauf » Mon May 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Hey Folks,
I wanna do an IPA recipe and add Fruit Loops! Yes, you read that correctly. I just don't know when/how to add them. I want to preserve as much of the precious fruity cereal flavour. Would I dry-hop, or dry-loop? Or add them in while I am whirlpooling?

Thoughts?

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Re: Wanna get looped!

Post by MitchK » Mon May 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Since they're grain based I'd be worried about them being home to the same type of micro-organisms that can live in beer but I could be wrong... Only one way to find out I guess. "Dry hopping" them would definitely preserve more flavor. Keep in mind fermentation will restart because they contain sugar, and that you could always do the "soak in vodka and then dump the loops and the vodka in" trick if you don't mind bumping up the abv.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am

In a processed product like that I wouldn't really worry about contamination. I'd worry more about the effects of the oils and other compounds, aside from the sugars and flavours.

Here's a discussion in BYO, but it's mainly talking about using various cereals as adjuncts, which is not really what you're after...

http://byo.com/hops/item/484-confession ... eal-brewer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try it. What have you got to lose but a batch of beer!

BorisVorlauf
Name: Shawny MacD

Post by BorisVorlauf » Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback so far. This batch would certainly fall under the category of 'experimental', and I will be happy to report back on the results. I will more than likely add (sparingly) to the end of the boil or whirlpool to eliminate any potential for contamination (if there might be any). I may do it as a SMaSH to more easily isolate what a fruity cereal does (flavor/aroma/head-retention, etc.). Again, its' all in the name of fun! I will likely try it in the coming weeks - but want to pound out a few other beers first.

Cheers!

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue May 31, 2016 12:20 pm

there are a lot of starches in fruit loops, you might end up with a hazy beer if you don't mash them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue May 31, 2016 1:05 pm

I don't think the flavour (artificial I assume) will be detracted by mashing. I would fear extra fermentation if added during packaging.

S

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Honestly if I were to do a fruit loops beer I would try to take advantage of facsimiles rather than actually including fruit loops as an ingredient. For example, ever notice how an overly sweetened vanilla forward london fog (earl grey tea latte) tastes like fruit loops? I find the starbucks london fog to be especially guilty of tasting like fruit loops.

Maybe something with earl grey tea, lactose, and vanilla beans?

Return to “Recipes”