Who do you order hops from?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Who do you order hops from?

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello! For those of you who order hops, who do you go through? I was looking at HopsDirect but their shipping is pretty expensive (though I have no basis of reference).
Thanks! :cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 pm

I just get mine from everwood
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by Keith » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 pm

More hops you buy the lower shipping per ounce is. However check with Dave @ everwoodavebrewshop.com he has a nice selection and prices are competitive. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
Name: Kirsten & Keely
Location: Cambridge

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by redoubt » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 pm

All depends what quantities, varieties, etc. you're looking for. Noble Grape (at least the Coldbrook location and I think some of the other locations?) have some varieties, but can get a bit pricey. Not bad if you just need small amounts, but it can add up quickly. Dave at Everwood has hops. OBK has hops. Sometimes we as a group do a group buy and that's a good way to get hops... I know this doesn't peg any one option down, but hopefully gives you a better idea where to look. :)

-Keely.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:57 pm

I always buy Hop Union nitrogen sealed hops from Toronto Brewing. I had a bad experience with hops that were freshly ordered online but were off. Took me ages to figure out the problem. I'll only use hop union factory sealed hops from now on. Still makes my blood boil when I think about that.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Id like to try these...may see if eric wants to split on a pound of each


New Zealand Waimea
Usage: Dual Purpose Aroma: Intense tangelo and citrus fruit with subtle pine characteristics

German Hull Melon
Usage: Aroma Aroma: Distinct fruit characteristics including honeydew melon and strawberry flavors

Australian Galaxy
Usage: Aroma Aroma: Distinct citrus, peach and passion fruit flavors
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by gm- » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I've ordered bunch from Hops direct, very fresh, straight from their farm. They have pretty good sales 3-5x a year that negates their high shipping costs. I've also bought #s from Dave at everwood with good results.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by McGruff » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:12 pm

I too had a bad experience online with hops. These were not in the original packaging and not even vacuum sealed when I got them. I didn't use them cause they smelled funny. You wonder how they were stored, or even how old they were. I ordered 16 ozs. from Toronto Brewing which were in the original packaging and reasonably priced.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by amartin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:23 pm

I get mine from Dave when I know ahead of time and can meet him, or from NG when I don't. I also got some online from beergrains.com recently, because I had a gift certificate from a competition this summer. The prices were comparable to NG (but not Dave), and they had a fairly wide selection. However, they also had shipping on theirs, so I probably wouldn't order from them again unless I was looking for something very specific that wasn't available locally. They were nicely vacuum sealed though, and smelled like hops.

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by Tony L » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:59 pm

My last hop order was from Toronto Brewing and they were reasonably priced and the hops were great. Other than that I order from Hops Direct. Very pleased with them also.

User avatar
berley
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
Name: Shawn
Location: Fredericton
Contact:

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by berley » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 pm

I've ordered from Yakima Valley Hops several times, with great experiences each time. I have an order of Galaxy, Mosaic, Azacca and Equinox coming now, so they obviously often have hard-to-find varieties... they go fast though, so you have to jump on the chance.
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Who do you order hops from?

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks all, lots of great tips here!

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests