Chugger pump not working

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Chugger pump not working

Post by Keith » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 pm

Got this pump in Dec on sale and haven't had this thing working yet so frustrated with this thing. Just doesn't want to move the wort. Pump head is filled and primed. And is sitting flat and level.

Suggestions?
20150414_233452.jpg
20150414_233504.jpg
20150414_233606.jpg
20150414_233649.jpg
20150414_233825.jpg
20150414_233832.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:17 am

The biggest thing is making sure that you have siphon as well as the pump being primed. I've seen sometimes having a large air bubble in the output or input line will cause the pump to cavitate. Lower your output line until wort/water is almost running out and then hook it up.

Have you not been able to get it working with water even?

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by RossBee » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:22 am

jeffsmith wrote:The biggest thing is making sure that you have siphon as well as the pump being primed. I've seen sometimes having a large air bubble in the output or input line will cause the pump to cavitate. Lower your output line until wort/water is almost running out and then hook it up.

Have you not been able to get it working with water even?

This.

Especially with boiling wort hitting any residual water that may be in the hose, had to disconnect and run wort on the floor a few times to make it work.
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by Keith » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 am

I had it going one time with water when I first got it and that's been it. Good to know about the syphon.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:58 am

jeffsmith wrote: Lower your output line until wort/water is almost running out and then hook it up.
^^This^^

The only time I have an issue, maybe 10% of the time is when transferring to my mash tun on the second tier. If I have an issue I shut down, lower the hose, give the pump the bump until flowing, shut down, hook up and resume transfer.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by RubberToe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:27 am

One thing a lot of people don't realise is the direction the inline pumps need to be mounted. The inlet should be on the bottom, outlet on top. Not left to right.

Mounting it right will eliminate a lot of priming issues. The problem with mounting it right is that you need to mount it to something and not have it laying on the ground. To save on bottom clearance I've seen people use a 90 degree or street elbow there.

This is one reason I prefer the centre inlet pumps. Their inlet also happens to be 3/4" as well.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 am

I guess I should have mentioned that I have a center inlet pump.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:34 am

LeafMan66_67 wrote:I guess I should have mentioned that I have a center inlet pump.
Same here, the the reasons RubberToe mentioned.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by Celiacbrew » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:40 am

If you have a street elbow in your kettle as a pickup It could be filled with air. I've had my pump not work because of that.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by RubberToe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:43 am

Further to mounting it bottom -> top, I see that you brew on your front steps. You could have your pump on one of the steps allowing the inlet to drop below the step's level. Mount it on a board maybe, to keep it from moving around.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Chugger pump not working

Post by Keith » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:10 am

Good to know gents. Front step was a one time deal.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests