Brewing Burnout - Help!
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Brewing Burnout - Help!
I think I have a touch of brewing burnout. I've been brewing maniacally, new styles and new beers all year, almost one per week, yeast starters, sending to competitions, studying each new beer style as I go.
I cleaned out the beer room today and bottled up what I think will be my last batch for the year. No more bottling, no more kegs to clean, and only another three competitions (including Big Spruce) to send to and I have the beers sorted and ready to go.
Next year I am not doing the Canadian Brewer of the Year thing. I'm going to spend more time with my family, and have more fun. I'll take my brewing/beer hobby in a different direction, not sure what that will look like. I'm looking forward to brewing at Beau's next summer and going to take Kathleen and spend a week in Montreal. That will be fun, and something to look forward to.
I can't say this year hasn't been fun, but I'm confused about that. If you give something your best shot and go at it "hammer and tongs" is it fun? It's been a great experience, and I learnt a lot.
For the rest of the year. I'm going to take it easy and put my feet up. Not even brewing for Christmas ...but then I'm going to the UK for Christmas and taking my peeps to see my other peeps, and there will of course be fantastic beer there. My mother lives behind a pub which belongs to a childhood friend of mine.
Rambling on. Sorry
Any advice on how I should play this next year and avoid burnout would be appreciated.
Has anyone else been on the verge of burnout from brewing?
I cleaned out the beer room today and bottled up what I think will be my last batch for the year. No more bottling, no more kegs to clean, and only another three competitions (including Big Spruce) to send to and I have the beers sorted and ready to go.
Next year I am not doing the Canadian Brewer of the Year thing. I'm going to spend more time with my family, and have more fun. I'll take my brewing/beer hobby in a different direction, not sure what that will look like. I'm looking forward to brewing at Beau's next summer and going to take Kathleen and spend a week in Montreal. That will be fun, and something to look forward to.
I can't say this year hasn't been fun, but I'm confused about that. If you give something your best shot and go at it "hammer and tongs" is it fun? It's been a great experience, and I learnt a lot.
For the rest of the year. I'm going to take it easy and put my feet up. Not even brewing for Christmas ...but then I'm going to the UK for Christmas and taking my peeps to see my other peeps, and there will of course be fantastic beer there. My mother lives behind a pub which belongs to a childhood friend of mine.
Rambling on. Sorry
Any advice on how I should play this next year and avoid burnout would be appreciated.
Has anyone else been on the verge of burnout from brewing?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
jason.loxton
- Verified User

- Posts: 972
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
- Name: Jason Loxton
- Location: sydney ns
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Just less of it, and focus on enjoyment when you do do it. You've been working towards a goal (competition), which is great, but work is tiring (that's almost the definition of work). Even the most enjoyable activies get boring if you're doing them constantly, and even more so when you motivation for doing them isn't immediate gratification, but rather some end goal.
Take a break, and when you come back brew only what you want and when you want to for the immediate reward of the fun of the process. You'll have less beer, but a smile, I reckon.
Take a break, and when you come back brew only what you want and when you want to for the immediate reward of the fun of the process. You'll have less beer, but a smile, I reckon.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Perfect! Thanksjason.loxton wrote:Just less of it, and focus on enjoyment when you do do it. You've been working towards a goal (competition), which is great, but work is tiring (that's almost the definition of work). Even the most enjoyable activies get boring if you're doing them constantly, and even more so when you motivation for doing them isn't immediate gratification, but rather some end goal.
Take a break, and when you come back brew only what you want and when you want to for the immediate reward of the fun of the process. You'll have less beer, but a smile, I reckon.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
The main thing is you need to brew beer that you you want to drink instead of beers you need to fill another category at a competition.GuingesRock wrote:Any advice on how I should play this next year and avoid burnout would be appreciated.
Has anyone else been on the verge of burnout from brewing?
Experiment instead of trying to stick within style.
Keep your beer in kegs instead of bottling. If I was bottling, I don't think I'd be brewing. You're kegging AND bottling, that's a double whammy.
It's all about brewing beer you want, when you want. If you like drinking the beer, you'll have no problem brewing it..I wouldn't have the time or commitment to brew for competitions...and I really think it would ruin the hobby for me (basically turning it into a job/chore).
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Thanks Jimmy, some good points. I think I might have been "at it" from the start. I have a tendency to go at something relentlessly until I have it mastered. Most times I move on once I have the hang of something. It was three years ago (almost to the day) when I said to my friend "I need a new hobby". I was just finishing up with day trading. I failed hopelessly at that oneJimmy wrote:The main thing is you need to brew beer that you you want to drink instead of beers you need to fill another category at a competition.GuingesRock wrote:Any advice on how I should play this next year and avoid burnout would be appreciated.
Has anyone else been on the verge of burnout from brewing?
Experiment instead of trying to stick within style.
Keep your beer in kegs instead of bottling. If I was bottling, I don't think I'd be brewing. You're kegging AND bottling, that's a double whammy.
It's all about brewing beer you want, when you want. If you like drinking the beer, you'll have no problem brewing it..I wouldn't have the time or commitment to brew for competitions...and I really think it would ruin the hobby for me (basically turning it into a job/chore).
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I feel I need to add, I had a lot of help with this one from the Brewnosers, and in the same good spirit, I hope continue helping other brewers when I can.

-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I can't help much, because I'm burnt out too and have been for quite a while. Probably at least a year.
I totally agree with forgetting the comp scene and brewing what you want, and experimenting with what you want.
Last few brews I gave myself a pep talk in the lines of "You're good at this shit." "You got talent for this, just brew.". Brewing's a lot of work and I find that my heart has to be in it for it to be worth it - basically writing off a whole day. I have a daughter to take care of, and also a full time job, a house / yard, and vehicles. Adult responsibilities.
My kegerator is running dry again. I should be brewing this weekend, for myself and the Big Spruce comp. I'll be lucky to get a single brew in and I was planning 3.
I feel your pain!
I totally agree with forgetting the comp scene and brewing what you want, and experimenting with what you want.
Last few brews I gave myself a pep talk in the lines of "You're good at this shit." "You got talent for this, just brew.". Brewing's a lot of work and I find that my heart has to be in it for it to be worth it - basically writing off a whole day. I have a daughter to take care of, and also a full time job, a house / yard, and vehicles. Adult responsibilities.
My kegerator is running dry again. I should be brewing this weekend, for myself and the Big Spruce comp. I'll be lucky to get a single brew in and I was planning 3.
I feel your pain!
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I think you are a man who might have his priorities right Rob. Lately I've been having fun with my wife and kids ...and I want more of it. I'll still brew though, but it has to be for fun when I do from now on. Life is too short for obsessionsRubberToe wrote:I can't help much, because I'm burnt out too and have been for quite a while. Probably at least a year.
I totally agree with forgetting the comp scene and brewing what you want, and experimenting with what you want.
Last few brews I gave myself a pep talk in the lines of "You're good at this shit." "You got talent for this, just brew.". Brewing's a lot of work and I find that my heart has to be in it for it to be worth it - basically writing off a whole day. I have a daughter to take care of, and also a full time job, a house / yard, and vehicles. Adult responsibilities.
My kegerator is running dry again. I should be brewing this weekend, for myself and the Big Spruce comp. I'll be lucky to get a single brew in and I was planning 3.
I feel your pain!
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I think as others have suggested narrowing your focus will be a big help. You have brewed beers from blondes to barleywines and done well with many, if not most, of them but its hard to be all things to all people. The same goes for beers!
I think its fun to pick a category and try it a few different times, i like the iterative process of improving my beer with competition results. I find that hard if i have more then 5 or 6 different beer in the hopper at once.
I think its fun to pick a category and try it a few different times, i like the iterative process of improving my beer with competition results. I find that hard if i have more then 5 or 6 different beer in the hopper at once.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I'm fairly burnt out at this point as well. I don't do comps but all summer it's been a struggle to "want" to brew. I did the brewnosers exchange beer with Chalmers today and enjoyed it. It's nice to have someone to brew with and know that you'll get beer in exchange.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Thanks Mark, I think the key, and you touched on that, is to brew for yourself (and maybe those close to you, but my wife and I have similar tastes, so that's good). Having said that, I do that with any style I brew, as much as I can and still keep it within style. As an example the "I don't like crystal" thing, and I have to have as much yeast presence as possible. That's what gives a brewer his style, brewing what he likes. Another example of this is NASH and his "fucking" hops hops hops. You have to assert yourself in your brewing and express your individuality. That's the kick of it. That's why I hate books such as "Brewing Classic Styles" and "Modern Homebrew Recipes". They kill originality and progress in brewing. The whole world is brewing beer from BCS (not just Canada, I was on an Australian site and they were all doing that). Books such as "Designing Great Beers" however, and also this one: http://www.amazon.ca/Home-Brewing-Beers ... 1453851496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (a great beginners book) point people in the direction of designing their own beers, developing a brewing style and advancing craft brewing by people enjoying using their imagination and creativity. There's no advantage at all to being a sheep and brewing someone else's beers the whole world over. What's even worse than that is they are now cloning sheep in Scotland, and have been for some time.mcgster wrote:I think as others have suggested narrowing your focus will be a big help. You have brewed beers from blondes to barleywines and done well with many, if not most, of them but its hard to be all things to all people. The same goes for beers!
I think its fun to pick a category and try it a few different times, i like the iterative process of improving my beer with competition results. I find that hard if i have more then 5 or 6 different beer in the hopper at once.
I really don't agree with the "iterative process of improving my beer with competition results". I might have mentioned that before. Those score sheets will tie you in knots (maybe with the exception of Jeff Pinhey's and other great judges, forgive the plug but I have come to rely on his feedback). YOU be the judge, and YOU be the jury. Look at the medals you get though, polish them up, and give yourself a pat on the back
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
[quote="GuingesRock"]Another example of this is NASH and his "fucking" hops hops hops. [quote]
Kathleen read that and said it was good, except for "yet another NASH dig". Fuck! I hope anyone else didn't think that. It was a compliment! give it your best people (which is what Nash does).

Kathleen read that and said it was good, except for "yet another NASH dig". Fuck! I hope anyone else didn't think that. It was a compliment! give it your best people (which is what Nash does).
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I think I touched on this with some other folks at Hoptoberfest and the ACBA's - brewing became almost a chore back in the late spring / early summer where I was brewing for other people and not myself. It felt like work and I really didn't enjoy my last few brews before my normal summer break. Over the summer, I decided I would brew only what I really felt like brewing for myself - sounds selfish, but a 5 hour chunk out of a weekend is a big commitment with a busy career, and family at home.
I brewed the Big Spruce brews for the competition, and felt a bit stressed over the alt, but, after a good conversation with Brian (aka Liverdance) at Hoptoberfest, I realized - who gives a shit! If the beer hit style, great - if not - lets give the judges something to ponder when they taste what's submitted! I enjoyed brewing both the Czech Lager and the Red IPA, so much so that I'm doing another Red IPA just for shits and giggles in the morning, just because I enjoyed the process the first time.
Burnout is real. Brew what you want, to whatever style you want as you want it. Enjoy your HOBBY and everything else will fall into place. Been there, brewed that - and am now back in my happy brewing place!
I brewed the Big Spruce brews for the competition, and felt a bit stressed over the alt, but, after a good conversation with Brian (aka Liverdance) at Hoptoberfest, I realized - who gives a shit! If the beer hit style, great - if not - lets give the judges something to ponder when they taste what's submitted! I enjoyed brewing both the Czech Lager and the Red IPA, so much so that I'm doing another Red IPA just for shits and giggles in the morning, just because I enjoyed the process the first time.
Burnout is real. Brew what you want, to whatever style you want as you want it. Enjoy your HOBBY and everything else will fall into place. Been there, brewed that - and am now back in my happy brewing place!
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I don't base my iterative process solely on scoresheets - i base it on my own tastes. I use the score sheets from nationally ranked judges as a style check keeping in mind there is some variance. I have been studying to be a judge so i like to look at the national score sheets while i'm drinking the beer and try to pick out the flavours they are, instead of just agreeing or disagreeing with what they put.
And in regards to brewing classic styles, it isn't geared towards a brewer like yourself, rather someone just starting out. Many people brew styles they have never tried, so a book that gives recipes on how the classics should be brewed certainly deserves some space on a beginners bookshelf.
And in regards to brewing classic styles, it isn't geared towards a brewer like yourself, rather someone just starting out. Many people brew styles they have never tried, so a book that gives recipes on how the classics should be brewed certainly deserves some space on a beginners bookshelf.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
,
Last edited by GuingesRock on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
I find BCS to be quite useful as a base. I start with a recipe from BCS, brew it, see what it's like, then I start tweaking it. I really don't have any working knowledge of ingredients yet, so sometimes it's nice to just go to a source known to be good, select a style, find a recipe, and then go from there. One day I will no longer have need of BCS, but that's not going to be any time soon.mcgster wrote:And in regards to brewing classic styles, it isn't geared towards a brewer like yourself, rather someone just starting out. Many people brew styles they have never tried, so a book that gives recipes on how the classics should be brewed certainly deserves some space on a beginners bookshelf.
Last edited by Buccaneer on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Good post. I left some Oktoberfest lager at my in-laws at thanksgiving. I got some feedback, they said it was the best beer they ever had, ever!. They want me to brew them a batch and they would pay me! not a hope in hell, they couldn't pay me enoughLeafMan66_67 wrote:I think I touched on this with some other folks at Hoptoberfest and the ACBA's - brewing became almost a chore back in the late spring / early summer where I was brewing for other people and not myself. It felt like work and I really didn't enjoy my last few brews before my normal summer break. Over the summer, I decided I would brew only what I really felt like brewing for myself - sounds selfish, but a 5 hour chunk out of a weekend is a big commitment with a busy career, and family at home.
I brewed the Big Spruce brews for the competition, and felt a bit stressed over the alt, but, after a good conversation with Brian (aka Liverdance) at Hoptoberfest, I realized - who gives a shit! If the beer hit style, great - if not - lets give the judges something to ponder when they taste what's submitted! I enjoyed brewing both the Czech Lager and the Red IPA, so much so that I'm doing another Red IPA just for shits and giggles in the morning, just because I enjoyed the process the first time.
Burnout is real. Brew what you want, to whatever style you want as you want it. Enjoy your HOBBY and everything else will fall into place. Been there, brewed that - and am now back in my happy brewing place!
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Please don't do itBuccaneer wrote:I find BCS to be quite useful as a base. I start with a recipe from BCS, brew it, see what it's like, then I start tweaking it. I really don't have any working knowledge of ingredients yet, so sometimes it's nice to just go to a source known to be good, select a style, find a recipe, and then go from there. One day I will no longer have need of BCS, but that's not going to be any time soon.mcgster wrote:And in regards to brewing classic styles, it isn't geared towards a brewer like yourself, rather someone just starting out. Many people brew styles they have never tried, so a book that gives recipes on how the classics should be brewed certainly deserves some space on a beginners bookshelf.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
That's all too much work. And while that approach may have worked for you, I prefer a different approach. Once I get my processes nailed down, then I may be in a position to truly start designing my own beer.
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
Study beer and if you can, go to the UK or Germany, Europe, look around the breweries, even your local brew pub, chat up the brewer, they love to show you around. Nash even Grrrrr
he'll do the same and pass on what he knows. There's an ethic in brewing that I try to live up to. Every brewer will hand on what he knows, it's a brewing ethic that's there for you (reminds me, I still have the recipe for Fathom in my wallet that Nash gave me). My BOTY competitors on Twitter are amongst my best helpers and supporters. This hobby is amazing for people pulling together with a common interest.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
It's so much easier. No-one likes doing what they are told and following instructions ...that's a hard thing to doBuccaneer wrote:That's all too much work. And while that approach may have worked for you, I prefer a different approach. Once I get my processes nailed down, then I may be in a position to truly start designing my own beer.
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
....or am I wrong?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
That is much more difficult than reading BCS and using it as a base to build your knowledge. Talking to the best Brewer in the world won't be one ounce of help if you don't have a foundation to learn off of and many brews under your belt. There are so many moving parts when you start brewing, no one starts off brewing with no experience and makes the worlds best beer.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
It's so much easier. No-one likes doing what they are told and following instructions ...<i>that's</i> a hard thing to do![]()
I would point out that what you're doing is saying "hey, those instructions are wrong, you should be following what I say instead." If I was an unstable person, I might take offence to being told I'm doing it wrong.
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!
With respect Mark, and you are a great brewer with great brewing skills and a huge amount of brewing knowledge, not only that, but you are successful in life with a desire to help people and make the world better for the people in it, but for goodness sake! Don't follow anyone, be an individual, respect who you are, make your way in the world and don't copy people. That's not how you become great ...at least that's how I see things. Sure, read stuff that people say, but make sure it's backed up with evidence and don't accept crap (you should post some of your analyses, they are excellent) but I would propose not being a follower and brewing from BCS, but instead being an individual (as much as that is possible) and asserting who you are, and making a beers you can truly call your own. It's much more funmcgster wrote:That is much more difficult than reading BCS and using it as a base to build your knowledge. Talking to the best Brewer in the world won't be one ounce of help if you don't have a foundation to learn off of and many brews under your belt. There are so many moving parts when you start brewing, no one starts off brewing with no experience and makes the worlds best beer.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests