Brewing Burnout - Help!

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:57 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:in this case i'd say it likely is an issue with the judging. sucks when that happens. i'm guessing they sat there talked about the beer then wrote their feedback ... i wouldn't put too much stock in the red apple characterization.

I also sent this to Montreal...so I'll see if those judges get red apple...If they do I'll have to figure out what's going on. It doesn't really bother my any...I brewed this beer for me...I just messed up on yeast selection. I still like it, but its less of a bo-pils and more of an American lager IMO...still tastes good tho

Plus...hipsters love them some apple beer...I'm may have stumbled on to something lol
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by Jayme » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:12 am

jacinthebox wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:I thought acetaldehyde was green apples though?
It is...red apple is Ethyl Hexanoate
Also commonly confused with acetaldehyde. The reason I went there, is that can often drop out over time. Not the span of a week though. Ethyl hexanoate is a fruity ester though, so if you're getting fruity esters, and they're out of style, I would say your much closer to tasting what the judges are writing down than you think. If they had kept it more vague on the score sheet but saying 'inappropriate fruity esters', would you have agreed? If after everyone at the brewnoser meeting had agreed on it being too fruity, if someone piped up and said 'red apple!', would others have said yeah - that's it! Or would they all have said no way!

Anyway, my take is that the judges are somewhat saying the same thing as you, just in a different way, and you're trying to anaylze the score sheet under the microscope instead of reading between the lines. Does that make sense?

Long story short, sounds like you should try a different yeast next time or enter it in a different category.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:18 am

Jayme wrote:
jacinthebox wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:I thought acetaldehyde was green apples though?
It is...red apple is Ethyl Hexanoate
Also commonly confused with acetaldehyde. The reason I went there, is that can often drop out over time. Not the span of a week though. Ethyl hexanoate is a fruity ester though, so if you're getting fruity esters, and they're out of style, I would say your much closer to tasting what the judges are writing down than you think. If they had kept it more vague on the score sheet but saying 'inappropriate fruity esters', would you have agreed? If after everyone at the brewnoser meeting had agreed on it being too fruity, if someone piped up and said 'red apple!', would others have said yeah - that's it! Or would they all have said no way!

Anyway, my take is that the judges are somewhat saying the same thing as you, just in a different way, and you're trying to anaylze the score sheet under the microscope instead of reading between the lines. Does that make sense?

Long story short, sounds like you should try a different yeast next time or enter it in a different category.

yeah...fruity is a desired ester in American lager...so when I say it's fruity I mean it's too fruity for this style, not overwhelmingly fruity...the judges said apple juice and Red apple not fruity esters...I know now I picked the wrong yeast...it was my fault due to lack of attention

Like I said...I will wait to see if Montreal picks up on red apple or apple juice...and go from there. I like the beer, so I'm drinking it lol
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Keith and Dave just confirmed apple in the lager (bottled)....fuck...I'm sampling the last of the keg now...and no stupid apple...this sucks...oh well she's gone now...infection in the bottles?

There...fixed...changed it to a apple lager...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:03 pm

This makes me want to punch...a small defenseless person
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 pm

jacinthebox wrote:This makes me want to punch...a small defenseless person
It was one of the best ciders the province had to offer. :) :) :) jk. It was only noticable because he told me.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Keith wrote:
jacinthebox wrote:This makes me want to punch...a small defenseless person
It was one of the best ciders the province had to offer. :) :) :) jk. It was only noticable because he told me.
Harsh bro
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 pm

jacinthebox wrote:
Keith wrote:
jacinthebox wrote:This makes me want to punch...a small defenseless person
It was one of the best ciders the province had to offer. :) :) :) jk. It was only noticable because he told me.
Harsh bro
Only cause it's a joke and you can handle it. :cheers2:
Brew it again.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:41 pm

Lol...fuck that noise
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 pm

Lol.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Brewing Burnout - Help!

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:49 pm

:lol:

.....................

Wednesday afternoon. My afternoon off. That's when I would normally be brewing. Instead I'm cleaning windows an cleaning the kitchen cupboards. Taking my time and enjoying it. Having a break and a cup of tea as I speak. Looking up, I can see the outside world through the windows now they are clean and the sun is streaming in. There's something odd about this. I don't have to watch temperatures and time like a hawk.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests