Detecting c02 leaks

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
Name: jamie
Location: Calgary

Detecting c02 leaks

Post by sleepyjamie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Got a new 5lb tank filled and its gone in less than 3 weeks. So looks like I have a leak somewhere. I can see or hear and leak, and it obviously took a long time to go dead. Any ideas?
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by mr x » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Soapy water around all connections. You do have the regulator gasket in place? Usually a white plastic washer.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Cheesehead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 pm
Name: Greg

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by Cheesehead » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I ran through a tank in even less time a couple of months ago. I had to replace the regulator.
Tap #1: Vic Park Clone
Tap #2: BBB Substance Clone
Fermenting:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by Jimmy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I was losing c02 from the pressure relief valve on one of my kegs.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by GAM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:42 pm

mr x wrote:Soapy water around all connections. You do have the regulator gasket in place? Usually a white plastic washer.
I use a star san spray and found a bad pin lock fitting. It had cracked at the metal/plastic joint. I put some pl plus on it and I hope to use it for cleaning.

Sandy

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by dexter » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:57 pm

I used soap as well to find that one of my pins was stuck open. Also when I smashed my regulator a while ago I had a tank last about 9 days...

User avatar
BrooklandBrewer
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 pm
Name: Andrew
Location: Brookland Brewing, Sydney, NS

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by BrooklandBrewer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:08 pm

I had a leak in my pressure relief valve too. Also check your clamps maybe??
Currently At Brookland Brewing, Sydney, NS:
In Kegs: Four Seas IPA, Belgian Witbier
In Carboys: Ordinary Bitter (Bitter Bonnette)
Bottled:
Next Brew: California Lager.

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Detecting c02 leaks

Post by chalmers » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I'll give you the same advice I gave Cheesehead:

Start by simplifying the system, remove the kegs from the system. Tank+regulator+gas connections+quick disconnects.
Open the tank valve, turn the regulator up to 50psi. Close the tank, don't touch the regulator, and wait overnight (if it's bad, you may not have to wait that long). It should not creep more than a few psi either way.
If it creeps, you have a bad tank valve, gasket, regulator, hoses or QDs.
Simplify the system further: remove any splitting you are doing in your gas line, and just use one QD.

If the system doesn't creep overnight, great, your gas delivery is probably OK! Concentrate on your kegs (though the issue could still be a bad QD leaking AFTER the pin).
Hook up one keg, pressurize it to 30psi, close the tank, and wait overnight again. Repeat with your different kegs until you find a winner (loser).

Only after you've narrowed it down would I bother with soapy water.

This is what I do with $200k instruments, so it'll probably work with your setup too. You can change the pressures I've suggested, but you want them to be high enough that a problem will be obvious.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 93 guests